Chapter Twenty Nine

Chapter Twenty Nine

Kimball Cho

Boss casually saunters into the bullpen as though she and Jane had simply been conversing about the local weather. When she walks past I look into her eyes and I can immediately tell that they've been discussing Red John. She has that crazed, mad driven light in her eye, one very similar to Jane's. I can see Van Pelt and Rigsby glancing at her, waiting for some sort of sign or emotion, but in all fairness to Lisbon, she shows nothing. She goes straight back to sorting out the evidence box for the previous case.

"Uh... Everything okay Boss?" Rigsby asks.

"Never better," she replies, offering a smile. She puts the lid on the box then carries it to her office where she drops it on the table and walks back out. Jane, meanwhile, has strolled in and collapsed onto his couch minus a cup of tea.

"Is the case over?" He asks whoever's listening.

"Yeah, we wrapped it up earlier," Van Pelt answers. Jane simply groans and continues to keep his eyes closed.

Later on I'm sat reading Moby Dick, attempting to make sense of the complex text, while Jane sleeps on his couch and Rigsby and Van Pelt have pushed their hidden relationship aside and are busy chatting. Lisbon has vanished to the kitchenette, probably to make a much needed coffee. Suddenly I hear her office phone ringing but there's no sign of her, so I get up placing the book open on the correct page and head into her office. As I reach her desk I have another quick check to make sure she's not coming and then pick it up.

"Special Agent Lisbon?" The person on the other end begins.

"This is Agent Cho, can I take a message?"

"Oh, well this is currently classified information. Only to be shared with specified agents-"

"I'll get her," I interrupt. I put the phone on the desk and go in search of her. I glance into the bullpen on my way past but she remains absent so I go to the kitchenette.

"Boss, the phone's for you," I say as I see her stood at the counter.

"Great..." She replies sarcastically. "Thanks."

She walks off stirring her cup of coffee so I'm left standing there. I decide to grab a biscuit to accompany my book and go back to my desk.

I peep into Lisbon's office from where I'm sat and her expression as she listens to the 'classified information' remains neutral. When she puts down the phone, ending the call, I continue reading. I'm not normally one to interfere but boredom has clearly reached a new level...

Lisbon casually walks past me and goes straight to Jane's sofa where she crouches down next to him.

"Jane..." She whispers, so quietly I had to put my lip reading skills into action. He stretches an arm, causing Lisbon to dodge it to save her nose. When he opens his eyes he startles a little at how close she is and then looks at her, patiently waiting for whatever she's about to say.

"Genevieve Collins is dead..." She mutters as his eyebrows furrow.

"What? How?.."

"Appears to be suicide..."

At this point Jane goes into a daze.

"And you know this, how?"

"I just had a call sent from the Governor. He believes it's to do with the Red John case... I'm sorry," she adds, standing up.

"It's fine. I got the information out of her..."

Both Lisbon and I know that's the reason Collins ended up the way she has; because Jane drained the information from her. But we don't speak up. By this point Rigsby and Van Pelt are both witnessing the situation, unsure of what exactly's going on. When Lisbon turns around to leave we all snap back into the various occupations we'd been doing, however Jane jumps up and follows her into her office. I on the other hand delve into my current page and begin reading again,

"For all men tragically great are made so through a certain morbidness.... all mortal greatness is but disease." - Moby Dick