Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Teresa Lisbon

"Jane? You coming?" I ask across the bullpen to where he's sitting on his couch.

He looks up at me in a daze and after a few seconds life washes back over his face as though he's only just acknowledged my question.

"Uh... Yes, yes, I'll be right there."

"You okay?" I ask, walking closer to him.

"Of course; we're going to catch a killer."

I sit down next to him.

"Maybe. Don't get your hopes up."

"I learnt that lesson a long time ago Lisbon... How're you doing?"

"Fine..." I answer suspiciously. "What're you up to?.."

"Me? Why would you jump to such a conclusion? Am I not allowed to check up on my partner in crime?"

"Hah. Very funny." I smile at him as he nudges my shoulder. "Right. Come on, we've got to go," I tap his knee, an invitation to follow me, and go to the elevator where we meet up with the others.

"Take this right. Wait. No no, the next one," Rigsby tells Van Pelt, who's sat at the wheel, her grip becoming so tight that her knuckles are turning white.

"Make your mind up. This one, or the next one?" She hisses.

"Alright, chill. The next one..."

I look back at Cho who's got his eyes closed, whether he's asleep or not, I don't know. Then I glance across at Jane who's staring at the back of Grace's headrest. I watch him for a few moments wondering what is going on inside his head today. It's far too serious to be about a sandwich filling, but not... Deep enough to be Red John. Hah, listen to me. Sounding like I'm reading him. Well, on this occasion he's appearing to be more legible than normal, but it's just a one off.

"Stop looking at me like that," he mutters, making me jump.

"Tell me what's wrong?" I ask, trying to hide the desperation in my voice.

"There's no wrong or right Lisbon. Things just happen. So no. I would tell you what was wrong, if there was something to tell. But there's not, because telling you something that doesn't exist, well... It... It would be difficult, even for me," he smirks. I've completed the task I'd set out to do at least, even if he wants to play smart with me. He's been pulled out of his trance and there's a positive beam of light across his face, I'd say I did it quite discreetly.

"Boss," Grace says, pulling out of her own heated debate. "Can you tell Rigsby that toddlers usually have irregular sleeping patterns?"

"I am not getting into this," I proclaim, who knows where it'll end up.

"See? I tol-" Rigsby begins before Jane cuts in.

"Yes Grace, it's a fairly repetitive occurrence you see throughout many young children. I wouldn't be at all worried by it," he states then turns to Rigsby. "Presuming you're talking about Ben?.. Be firm. Tell him to go to bed. Praise him if he does, blah blah blah."

"Hah!" Van Pelt grins at her colleague beside her.

Rigsby rolls his eyes with a smirk playing at his lips. "Yeah, alright..."

We open our car doors and slam them shut behind us.

"Van Pelt, Cho, cover the back. Rigsby and I will take the front. Whatever you do, do not let him get away," I order. We all head about going to our assigned positions and stay alert.

I bang on the door. "CBI, open up!"

But there's no answer. I thump on the door again. "Police! Open the door, now!"

I test the handle but it's locked. I nod to Rigsby who stands opposite me and he rams against it allowing us entrance. I enter first with my pistol raised and knees bent. I signal for Rigsby to search the left wing while I do the right. Van Pelt and Cho come jogging in from the back having cleared the kitchen and go upstairs. Several seconds later Rigsby and I join them.

Van Pelt comes out to us on the landing. "Boss, it's clear."

"He's gone," Cho concludes looking around in desperate hope for any sign of a lead...