Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Patrick Jane

I return to my table in my little attic room, my blue cup and saucer recently refilled with fresh tea. Rigsby and Cho are bringing in Bonnie for questioning and Lisbon's gone to get Carla. I wanted to go with her, but she insisted that I stay and wait for the forensics report back, which of course I am doing... But Grace is just sat in my seat instead whilst I do some Red John thinking... First chance I get I'm straight to the Federal Prison and requesting to speak to Genevieve Collins, a suspect, and convicted killer, from the previous case. She'd been linked with Red John... She is his disciple, and I must talk to her. I know they say a need is something compulsory to stay alive, but truth is, Red John is the only thing keeping me vaguely sane on this planet right now. I need to talk to his brainwashed servants whenever I get the chance. Genevieve said he would give her the money she needed... The freedom she 'deserved'.

"Grace? Please do come in!" I call out. From the distinct patter of feet, that I'm not as familiar with as Lisbon's, and the fact that she's the only one here right now led me to believe that the rookie was paying me a visit, probably to inform me that the reports have been processed and handed over.

"Uh... Jane? The forensics analysis is back..." She murmurs, taking in the dull atmosphere and the layout of my rather unique fortress. She's not been invited in before, not that she's ever asked, so this barely furnished haven of mine is a new world to her young eyes.

"Okeydokey, I'll be right down."

I marvel at her curiosity and her need to explore. She's like a child in a playground, wanting to stay close to Daddy but wanting to try all the climbing frames.

"Please, have a look around," I offer. I know my kindheartedness is beginning to freak her a little, but nonetheless she ventures further into the room. Her gaze rests upon me, as though she's not sure what exactly I'm expecting.

"... What's up?.." She asks, more of a 'why are you acting like this?' than a 'how are you?'.

"Uh... What did I say?"

"Jane, are you okay?" She takes a few steps closer, looking puzzled and worried at the same time.

"Oh I'm fine," I say cheerily. "My mind was elsewhere."

"With Milly?"

"Yes, with Milly."

"Oh good, me too. I can't concentrate Jane. What if something happens? Won't you feel responsible?"

"Why? Would you?"

"Yes and it's driving me insane. She's only young... What if there's something going on?"

"What are you suggesting?"

"I don't know... Abuse?"

"It's a possibility. But don't blame yourself. We can only help if, and when, she tells us, until then we'll have to be patient and concentrate on the evidence we gather."

"Have you considered... That perhaps she killed Michaels?"

"Hm no. She couldn't have."

Van Pelt doesn't have chance to reply as my cell starts ringing. I take it out my pocket and see the little picture of Lisbon grinning up at me, so I flip it open. "Hello Lisbon," I answer but there's no reply. "Lisbon?" I give a glance up to Grace as she's looking at me with a nervous expression. 'Hello?' I don't hang up, Lisbon has called me for a reason. She never disturbs me unless it's urgent... I just need to figure it out... I put it on speaker so two brains could work on cracking the puzzle. She's definitely there as the signals fuzzy, but she's not talking. There are a few mumbled words which are indistinguishable and then a sound which makes both Grace and I alert and worried. We simply look at each other not knowing what to do.