Chapter 18: Hols

Începe de la început

Why did it even surfaced?

Had the whisky in his hand not enough to drown them or had it been the guilt that ate him, and still eating him, was slowly making itself known?

Snape let himself fall to the couch.

He sighed. Truly, this was madness, but what could he even do? McGonagall was right again, given her penchant for nagging. He really had to other choice but to take the boy in.

-----

When morning dawned, Dumbledore was already alert and awake. The castle was back to its constant hustle and he resigned to having a few cups of sweetened Chamomile Tea this morning. Snape has just Floo Called him a few hours ago. Of course, he agreed. The one he dared to cross was Minerva Mcgonagall, after all. She was known for her... convincing qualities and her determination, especially if she knew she was right. For Albus Dumbledore, it was yet another step to take. Harry Potter would be a fine, brilliant wizard, and although the boy did not go to Gryffindor as they expected, still, the Headmaster knew Slytherin is a good House, known for rearing powerful, intelligent witches and wizards. No, he knew that not all evil wizards come from Slytherin. Look at Snape, for example. The man was brilliant and knew exactly what to do and when to do it.

But he knew that despair can be a force that may or may not push people towards another road, and losing one's family twice, well, Albus would be surprised a little if it would make the Potter boy go and join Voldemort. So, he knew they had to find the boy the appropriate guardian sooner rather than later, to guide him to the better path; the path for the 'Greater Good'.

He was surprised though, when the Wizengamot, the wizarding council, gave him a document to 'help him'. It was recovered by Augusta Longbottom, who had known about the document. She was, after all, the woman that single-handedly handled the Potter account for years, even before James Potter attended Hogwarts. She was also one of the witnesses. The other was Hubert Kenstalk, who died during the War.

He was only momentarily surprised when Lily Potter Entrusted her only child to her bestfriend, Severus Snape. Although Snape resented her husband, still, she did not make this a reason to think why Snape would maltreat the boy, or lead him to Voldemort. She seemed to have known Snape better than anyone and during those times, Snape was still one of You-Know-Who's minion wholeheartedly, so Dumbledore could not pinpoint why James Potter agreed to this; an agreement that may have been considered outrageous back then.

But it has come down to this, didn't it? It made things far easier, yet far complicated as it had been before.

When and should Voldemort rise again, Snape had to resume his spying role, and the boy would have to save them. But then again, Severus would make it easier to protect the Boy-Who-Lived.

Either way, it was gamble.

Although, he would like it for once when he wouldn't think of anything other than lemon drops and oversweetened teas.

----

As the day progressed, Bran already had a feeling that he would be summoned to the Headmaster's office soon. His friends were now looking forward to their Holidays. Draco was going to Switzerland, the Twins were going to invent a love potion, Melinda would make her hair blue, Liannus would go to Nepal, Lancelot would go with Nott to Hawaii for a 'tropical Christmas', the others were, as always, going home and Hermione would search for more clues about the third floor. He said he was probably going to a new family, so, he would update them about his status, to which they looked at him with pity and sympathy.

Brandon hated being pitied.

"Mister Dursely?" Verona approached them, his tanned skin almost looking like copper, "Professor Snape calls for you. He is waiting outside."