28. The Reverend

Začít od začátku

Uri kept his eyes on the road, but I could still detect the sympathy in them. "Did you . . . did you tell him that I was coming?"

I shrugged. "I told him I was bringing a friend. I'm sorry, but that's all I could think to say."

"No, don't apologize. I was just curious."

I slumped in my seat and leaned my head against the window. "I've brought guys over before, but they were all ones that I didn't even like. I only dated them because I knew he would approve. The last boyfriend who came with me to visit the reverend was Corbin."

Uri grimaced. "Corbin from the aquarium?"

"Yeah. He was the last straw. I couldn't keep dating duds like him. So I cut him off and didn't go back to class after that."

"Hey, Naya?" Uri said. "I think we're here."

Using my elbows, I hoisted myself upright in the seat and almost couldn't believe how close we were to my house. Even though this was the house where I grew up, everything from the driveway to the line of rose bushes, and even the blue shutters on the windows felt foreign to me.

Breathe, Naya. Breathe.

Getting out of the car and walking up the front steps felt like I was stumbling through a dream. I don't even remember ringing the doorbell. There was a distant shuffling within and I almost wanted to say, Wait! I'm not ready!

But it was too late. The reverend had already opened the door.

"Babygirl!"

Long arms enveloped me. A face similar to mine grinned back at me. Familiar, happy voices rang inside my head. Despite the disorientation, I maintained the facade of the perfect daughter and hugged back. I smiled. I said, "Hey, Daddy." I told him how much I had missed him.

And then I introduced Uri.

"So this is the friend that I was talking about. His name is –"

My father's hand shot out. Somehow, I had been pushed to the sidelines.

"Reverend Xavier Isaiah Burton III," My dad recited, giving Uri a hard handshake and not bothering to ask for his name in return.

Uri shook back and looked as poised as ever. "My name is Uriel, sir. It's a pleasure to meet you."

With almost an accusatory tone, the reverend replied, "What, no surname?"

I wasn't prepared for this, but Uri saved himself in time. "It's Naim, sir. Uriel Naim."

"Ah," the reverend said, clearly sensing the accent in Uri's voice. The regard in his face made me cringe on the inside. I knew what was coming next.

So son, where are your folks from?

"Daddy! It smells good in there. What did you make?"

That was enough to draw the reverend's attention away from Uri. His face lit up. "I made your favorite, babygirl. Cubed steak with white gravy, garlic mashed potatoes, and green peas. And of course, I've got your cornbread baking in the oven."

I gave my sweetest smile. "Oh, boy! I'm starved."

The reverend guided us inside to the dining room table. Everything in the house was set immaculately just as it was before I left for Emory. Despite my dad being an empty nester, he must have cleaned the space from top to bottom every Sunday after church.

I willed my hands to stop shaking while the reverend set the table. Uri sat across from me and did his best to look supportive.

When it was time to eat, my father made himself comfortable, cleared his throat and looked directly at Uri. "Son, would you say the blessing for us tonight?"