“You do!?”

Cami nods her head quickly, “Why didn't you tell me that The Fray were trying to get me in!?”

“I didn't want you to get your hopes up. Cami, this is fantastic!!!”

“I know! I can't believe it! And Marcel and I will be 10 minutes away from eachother!!”

Her mom envelopes her into a tight hug, swaying back and forth.

“I'm so proud of you, sweetie!!”

“Thanks, Mom,” Cami says into her mom's shoulder.

Sam walks downstairs and sits beside me.

“What's going on?” he asks.

“Cami got accepted to Berklee,” I tell him.

“I already knew that.”

“You did?”

“Yeah, but don't tell her. Mom told me someone was trying to get her in. I knew she'd get in, she's talented. Don't tell her I said that though,” he whispers.

“I won't...”

I've only talked to Sam a few times. He tries to put on a tough guy act, but he's a really sweet kid. I've seen him at school, talking to the quiet kids or making someone laugh. He's just like his sister.

“I heard you proposed to my sister?” he asks.

“I didn't propose, it's just a promise ring.”

“Well, you better propose in a few years. I don't want her with anyone else. I like you, Marcel. You're pretty cool.”

“Thank, Sam. You're not too bad either.”

“Hey, I'm fantastic. But look, if you break up with her, I'll find you. She loves you.”

“I love her too. Don't worry, I don't think we'll break up.”

*

Dear Cami,

I love you today. I'll love you tomorrow. I'll love you until the end of the Earth.

Today is May 20, four days until we graduate. We're 18 years old.

If you ever read this, I hope you read this with a smile on your face. I hope you're not reading this while you're sad.

I hope while you're reading this we are still together.

You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. You are the reason for the smile on my face. You are the reason I am happy.

Do you remember that time I got stuck in the rain? It was a few days after we met. I've never told anyone this, but if you didn't pick me up at the bookstore, I was going to kill myself. But because of you I didn't. I waited a little bit longer.

Now look where that has gotten me. :)

And our first kiss. It was so awkward, yet amazing. I'd never felt butterflies in my stomach like that. They tickled, but in a good way. Then, every time I thought of you, I couldn't help but smile. I wanted to be with you all day, everyday. I didn't want to be without you.

And I never want to be without you.

So by the time you read this, it may be in twenty years. We may be old and wrinkly, or we may be young adults.

But no matter how many years, I hope we're still in love.

I love you, Cam.

Sincerely yours,

Marcel

I fold up the piece of paper and seal it into a white envelope. I place it in a shoe box and wait for Cami to finish writing her letter.

We're at the lake, sitting on the dock. Cami is sitting across from me, her pen quickly writing across the paper.

I wonder what she's writing about.

When she's done, we fill the box with pictures and trinkets. I put in a rock from the lake. She puts in the wrinkled stub from The Fray concert. A song I wrote. A guitar pick. One of my tapes. A fortune from when we went out for Chinese.

We tape the box shut and dig a hole in the ground. We chose the lake because it's our special spot. In a few years, we'll come back to this spot and dig up the box. It will bring back a bunch of memories, some we may have forgotten and some we may still remember.

Cami's POV

Dear Marcel,

Hi. It's Cami. It's May 20.

I've never been very good at writing letters. You've always been the writer. I apologize if this letter is horrible, but maybe it will be the best thing you've ever read.

I remember the first day I met you. You were pushed down in the hall, and your glasses fell off. You seemed so scared.

I asked about you. I didn't know your name, but everyone seemed to know you. They referred to you as the “smart guy” or “Mars.” They didn't tell me much other than that.

I made a decision that I wanted to know more about you.

I'm glad I made that decision. You are the nicest, funniest, and smartest person I have ever met. I never thought I'd meet someone who was genuinely nice to everyone, but you proved me wrong.

It always astounded me that no matter how much you were bullied, you were still kind to everyone. Never once were you mean.

You make me a better person. You know how people say there's someone who brings out the best in you? Well, you bring out the best in me. You inspire me and make me so happy.

I don't know what I'd do without you...

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you are amazing. That sums it up. You're my star. I love you.

Forever and always,

Cami.

I seal the envelope and place it in the box.

As we put it into the ground, I feel like our memories are safely preserved forever. When we come back, it will be like opening up the past. If I could, I would stay in this moment forever. Just sit here everyday with Marcel until we grow old.

As long as I'm with him, I'll be happy.

Thank you so much for getting this to 8M reads!!!!! I hope you like this chapter!!! I love all your messages and comments and tweets. I love you all. <3

Twitter: 5secsofashleyy (yes, it has 2 y's lol)

Instagram: 1delicioussss and delicatedreams