Death at its Finest

Loud crying was what woke me up.

      My eyes cracked open. I sat up, using the shackles above me as a leverage. "Quiet down!" One of the prisoners shouted. I was about to reposition myself for more sleep when I caught a blur of black next to me.

My whole body stiffened. I turned my head to get a better look on the person they were strapping to the wall next to me. My heart leapt with joy. "Esmeralda!" I cried out, stretching out my legs. The black haired girl didn't meet my gaze.

                 I fought against the iron shackles to at least go a little near my friend. "Merry?" I asked in the suddenly quiet dungeon. The girl looked up, her glossy hair all over the place. Esmeralda looked at me with watery green eyes.

     Her face was blotchy from crying for what seemed for a long time. She wore different clothes, a shredded dress and no shoes. Her legs were squeezed together, her hands trembling above her. Scratches filled her arms and face.

The rebels left with a hast, muttering above getting ready for a ceremony. I glanced at them before focusing on Esmeralda. "What happened?" I whispered, not wanting the other prisoners to hear. I nudged her with my foot, causing her to jerk back into reality.

                   Esmeralda's usual happiness was replaced by raw fear and sadness. She shook her head, crying as she looked down. Tears fell down her face. Her hair fell over the sides of her face. "Esmeralda!" I whisper shouted.

         She snapped her attention to me, squirming against the shackles. "They took advantage of me, Zaila." She hiccuped, squeezing her eyes shut.

The world fell around me. My heart began to speed, faster and faster. Screams and gunshots filled the air. The sound of hooves thundered the ground, shaking it. I growled, briefly closing my eyes. I pushed away at the events that came crawling back into my mind.

                    Esmeralda. Those bastards touched and rambled my friend like she was some type of merchandise. I grinded my teeth, hatred pouring into my system. My nails dug into my palms, burning. "Who did this to you?" I asked, staring at Edna's sleeping form. After a few moments of crying silently, Esmeralda spoke up.

     "I... I don't know. T-the men had their faces covered." She said in a small voice. I tugged at the chains. "Anything you recognize?" I growled, looking over at my poor friend. She blinked, trying recall a painful memory.

"Um... one of them had a black spot in their eye. It was near the iris of the eye. And, uh, and he had a crystal ball ring." She answered, nodding at her memory. My blood went cold.

"One of them?"

         Esmeralda bit her lip, slowly nodding as she hung her head low. Rage chewed itself inside to out of me. "It's nothing to be afraid of, Merry. It wasn't your fault. I'll get them." I said, venom dripping in my voice.

    My friend cried, leaning towards me. She busted out sobbing, her shoulders jostling around. "I'm-I'm not pure anymore I-I can't even---"

"Esmeralda." I said, my voice steady.

     She abruptly stopped, looking up at me with big eyes. "Mark my words, I will avenge you. There's no need for crying because those bastards who did this to you will die a slow and painful death. Instead, think about ways to kill them with me." I said.

And then, at that very moment, was where the innocent Esmeralda I knew vanished. In front of me was a woman who knew what had to be done.

     Esmeralda lifted her chin high in the air. Her shoulders squared, her tears stopped. Anger overtook her face. Pride swelled inside me.