chapter fifteen

The waiting was the worst part. The months drew on and each day became just a little harder. She hadn't a clue how she would know - but it became rather apparent when the aches and pains became more than something bearable. There was screaming, blinding pain, even a beg or two for death, but all was silent the moment she held him in her arms. Saiorse had never felt so blissful. There would never be a moment quite like her son's first breath again; it almost made her sad. With trembling hands Saiorse had cupped the side of her baby's face, cradling his rosy cheek as he tumbled in her grasp, frightened of this new, scary world. The weary smile on Saiorse's lips only spread as he rumpled his face, a gurgled whimper filling every corner of the barn.

"Well done," a voice said softly - though tiredly. Khodai, with his mop of dark hair covered to his face and shadows tugging beneath his eyes, slumped next to the godforsaken haystack, blowing a heavy breath as he pushed his face in his hands. They'd lingered there for days - he was glad they'd moved when they had the chance.

"Madeus," Saiorse muttered. "Is that a nice name?"

Khodai smiled at his friend. "Lovely, my lady."

It seemed there moments of peace were falling between the very floorboards. Saiorse, pale-faced and trembling, looked to her companion. Beckham had done as he'd promised, calling upon Khodai for assistance. Both Saiorse and himself had suffered under many of his experiments - Saiorse had been terrified her son would emerge as a monster straight out of Beckham's fairy tales, but the very normal, very big, mind you, baby seemed just as average as any newborn could be. Madeus' normality was the least of their worries, however. Beckham would be soon to hunt them down; he was no fool. Saiorse knew their hours were limited.

"You can not ride now," Khodai muttered, turning his face to look at Saiorse. "It will take days for you to be able to walk, much less sit in a saddle."

Saiorse peered at her son, the lump in her throat growing thicker by the moment. "We can not stay here." She hung her head, running her fingers over Madeus' tiny knuckles. "I will rest tonight, but we must depart by dawn." Khodai's expression spelled his wish to argue, but he simply shook his head, running his hand over his face. Saiorse studied the scars put their by her husband. She looked to her palm, finding similar marks. She curved her fists. She had no idea where they would go, but anywhere would be better than there.

Sadly, the dawn was not quick enough - nor were they.

Rattling of chains crossed over the doors of the barn startled Saiorse from a light sleep, her head snapping upward as the ruckus continued. Eyes wide, she fumbled for Khodai, who rose beside her. Hands rolling in the hay, Saiorse fished for her son, where she'd wrapped him in the warmth of the yellow strands. She shoved Madeus into his arms, grabbing Khodai's front with desperation as the noise grew more prominent.

"Take him. Find a farm, a midwife, someone that can care for both of you," Saiorse pleaded.

"Saiorse," Khodai hissed, pressing his palms to her shoulders. "I will not-"

"His life may depend on it, dear Khodai," she whispered, pressing her hands on either side of his face. She drew him forward, placing a kiss to his forehead. Khodai studied Saiorse if only for a moment more, before he took Madeus with gentle care and raced to the back of the barn, sliding skillfully from a hole they'd prepared in this very case.

Saiorse held her hands, twined in her lap. The door kicked inward once, twice, one more time, before it flung forward, smacking against either wall. The torch Beckham held shed light over his wife's face, stony, indifferent, ready. Grinding his jaw, Beckham set his torch aside, hitching it in pegs meant for farming tools. One at a time, Beckham shut the doors, before turning around to face Saiorse Belvadare - his wife, his companion, his forever. Saiorse's hand slid beneath the hay, clasping the hilt of a dagger hidden below.