chapter thirteen

She did not dream often, but when she did, they usually took place somewhere laced with serendipity. She was quite certain the river she walked was of the perfect temperature, the fireflies making their home among the reeds as happy as could be. Her fingers fanned over the reaching stalks, tickling the pads of her fingers as she passed them. Saiorse inched closer to the ledge of the bank, raising her toes to brush the surface of the-

Water. Cold water. Everywhere.

Saiorse shot forward, her squeal tangled with a snarl promising death. Her eyes snapped open, fingers digging into the furs hardly covering her torso. Her vision, though still blurry with sleep, adjusted only enough to see a very impatient blonde hovering over her with a pot, still dripping with the icy water that had left its belly to cover Saiorse's face. Saiorse bared her fangs when Alara tossed the pot angrily away. She was quite certain she'd put a dent in the wall. A slower Alexander sat upwards, rubbing his face clear of the chilly droplets. Blinking a few times, he looked to Saiorse first, then rolled his eyes to Alara. She peered at him, her rage unwavering. A lopsided, sleepy smirk crossed Alexander's face. Alara bared her teeth, fists balling.

"Was that at all necessary?" Saiorse snapped, wrapping one of the furs about her in the best way she could. Still, much of her bruised skin was left bare. To which, Alara observed as if a precious treasure had been destroyed.

"Was that," she fanned her hands to Alex as he slithered from the bed, sans coverage. Alara averted her eyes with an exasperated hiss. "Necessary?"

Saiorse drew a breath, lips parting. "Well," she stated, looking over her shoulder. "Past me would have deemed it so. Though present me would most definitely disagree."

Alex shot her an icy glare. Saiorse narrowed her eyes. Drifting to where they'd left their belongings, Saiorse bent to sift through her dwindling gowns. She was hoping the ebony dress would survive longer than two days. Pulling one of crimson and black free of her bag, Saiorse dropped the furs, deciding that, seeming as all parties in her presence had at one time been in her bed, nudity mattered not. Both Alexander and Alara stared, watching with droopy eyes while Saiorse dressed herself.

Tearing herself away from the inticing woman, Alara drifted to the table where a letter sat. She took it between her fingers, marching to Saiorse's side as she finished tying the knots of her corset. She handed it to her, stepping back as Saiorse turned it in her palm with a confused expression.

"This was on the table," she told her. "I do not know where it came from. It was here when I returned."

Saiorse's hands grew tight. That would've meant someone left it while they were sleeping. Her eyes fluttered to the door, her jaw clenching as suspicion reared in her chest. Whoever left it would have woken Saiorse with their clumsy foot steps.

If they were human, anyway.

Careful to avoid anything beneath the lip of the envelope, Saiorse unfolded it with caution. Wary, both Alexander and Alara waited for a reaction. Saiorse took her time in drawing the parchment free, undoing the sticky clasp holding it shut. Saiorse read it carefully, her brows pinching until she seemed to stop, her face paling terribly quick. Alara stepped forward as Saiorse lifted her gaze to stare at nothing, swallowing back rising bile pushing its way through her throat.

"Saiorse?" Alara demanded. "What is it?"

She shook her head, tossing the paper far from her reach. She raced to her bags, gathering them together quickly. She shoved them to the satchel without care, hands trembling as she marched back and forth. She was stopped only by Alara's palms to her shoulders. Saiorse looked in her eyes, her chest heaving.