Chapter 4: Going to the Forbidden Mountain

As the sun set, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rainbow led Rarity back to the palace. Carefully and quietly, they snuck her up to one of the rooms and set her down to look at herself in the mirror. She was as beautiful as ever, and the three fairies, now back with their wands and wings, created a crown for her to wear. When they placed it upon her head, Rarity began to cry again.

Applejack led the other two fairies out to the hallway. "Let's give her a moment alone..."

Once they closed the door, the bright fire burning in the fireplace went out, only to be replaced by a green and purple light. It hypnotized Rarity and commanded her attention. When she stood, the light made the wall behind the fireplace disappear, only to reveal a secret passageway up to the very highest point of the castle. Rarity walked through the passage and up several flights of stairs, wind blowing through the halls.

Outside the room, the three fairies discussed ways to ease their princess's grief until they heard the wind whistle through the halls. "Adagio!" Applejack cried. She opened the doors and saw the passageway through the fireplace disappear.

"RARITY! VIOLET!" the fairies cried. They used their magic to make the passage reappear, but Rarity was already well on her way up to the highest tower. Once she was there, a black spinning wheel appeared in the corner of the room. Still hypnotized, she reached out to touch it but backed her hand away at the last moment.

"Touch the spindle," came a voice. "Touch it, I say!"

Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rainbow finally found the staircase that led up to the tower, but when they got there, Adagio stood before them. "You simple-minded fools thought you could beat me? Me, the Mistress of All Evil?! Well then, HERE'S YOUR PRECIOUS PRINCESS!" She pulled her black robes away to reveal Rarity sprawled out on the floor, unconscious. The good fairies gasped in horror as the evil fairy disappeared. As they huddled around their princess, the sun set under the horizon.

Not knowing what else to do, the fairies set Rarity into a bed in a nearby chamber. They sobbed over her seemingly-dead body as the kingdom began to celebrate the return of their princess.

"King Raph and Queen Sunset will be heartbroken when they find out what happened," Rainbow whimpered.

Applejack rubbed her eyes. "They're not going to. We'll put the entire kingdom to sleep until Violet awakens. Come along." She closed the curtains to the room and made herself small. The other two fairies followed and began sprinkling sleeping powder over the kingdom, making sure they got everyone. "Sleeping Beauty," they sobbed as the subjects yawned and fell into the pits of unconsciousness.

The fairies even managed to get the Kings and the Queen. Casey was trying to tell Raph about what Donatello had said to him, but he started to fall asleep too soon. "He's marrying...a peasant girl..." the King sighed.

Applejack gasped when she heard this, even though Raph was already asleep. "A peasant girl?" she repeated. "Where did he meet her? Tell me!"

Casey blinked sleepily. "Once...upon...a dream..." His eyes soon shut, and he slept against the throne.

Applejack smiled. "Oh, my goodness! The boy from the forest was Prince Chouji! Wait a second...that means...!" She gasped again and hurried to find the other fairies. Quickly, the three of them sped into the forest.

Excited, Prince Donatello stepped up to the cottage and knocked on the door, waiting for an answer. He heard a soft voice reply, "Come in." Once he did so, he was attacked by several little demons who tied both him and the horse up.

"Ha, what do you know?" Adagio laughed as she held a candle up to Donatello face. "I set a trap for a peasant, and I catch a prince! Away with him!" She smirked as her minions dragged him away.

The good fairies were too late. They only saw Donatello's hat resting on the ground. "It was Adagio!" Rainbow realized. "She took Prince Donatello to the Forbidden Mountain."

"We can't go there!" Fluttershy sobbed.

Applejack narrowed her eyes. "But we must!"

The three fairies made their way quickly yet quietly up to the castle at the top of the Forbidden Mountain. Evading the guards, they made their way inside and watched as several little demons danced about a giant fire, celebrating the victory of their leader.

Adagio smirked. "It's such a shame that Prince Donatello isn't here," she said to the raven. "Come along now, let's go cheer him up in the dungeon." She made her way down to the lowest part of the castle, unknowing that the three fairies were following her.

Donatello sat against the wall with chains surrounding his wrists. When the evil fairy walked into the room, he glared at her, his anger shining through.

"Oh, it's not so bad, Your Highness," Adagio teased. "A wonderful future is waiting for you. Up in the highest chamber of the palace lies Princess Rarity." She paused for a moment so a picture could appear in the jewel atop her staff. "But look! It's none other than the lovely peasant girl who charmed you just yesterday. The beauty sleeps, dreaming of her prince. The years pass by, one hundred of them to be exact." She smirked when the picture changed to that of Donatello as an old man. "The gates of my palace shall then open, and the brave prince shall march forward on his noble steed and save the princess, proving that True Love conquers all!" She laughed hysterically as Donatello tried to break the chains holding him back.

The fairies watched in horror as Adagio left the prince alone in the dungeon to think about his horrible future. The two sisters Aria and Sonata, however, was able to sense that they were being watched. The fairies, not knowing of this, flew down to the young man and used their magic to free him.