|Ch. 21|

I awoke to the jumbling sound outside my room of pushing the tray of breakfast through the door. I squinted holding my hand above my face to peruse the scrumptious food perfectly nudged beside my bed. Taking in the aroma of eggs and bacon, I quickly removed the covers and picked up my tray. My mouth inhaled the eggs in a matter of minutes and washed down some cool milk onto my tongue. I began to chew on some bacon looking around the room to get a clearer view of the tiny escape route that Megan ventured through last night and speculated if I could fit in there to escape.

My mind scattered to the thought of Alex. I wondered what he was doing at this time? Was he still asleep? Was he even searching for me? Did he even care that I had left? From the looks of it before, he seemed completely calm at the fact that I brushed him off that night. I just desperately wish I could redo it all and sit down beside him as he comforted me. After all of this, I hoped that I could run up to him and truly tell him how sorry I was and how much he meaned to me. Now, I didn't know if I would ever see him again, and the thought worried me to death.

I looked up at the blinking light that watched my every move. If only I had known that they were watching our every move, I would've given them a heck of a show. I should've ran off with Alex when I had the time. Now, I am sitting in this overly expensive cell counting down the unknown amount of days until I die. The thought made every inch in me shutter because I couldn't handle Alex picking her. Not Sally. But, I was sitting here as every passing day became closer to the time they would meet and I could do nothing about it except sit here and wonder. I was alone.

No one was here to save me except myself and I just couldn't handle the truth. I lied to get my way out of everything and this is where it got me. However, I wanted to scream but nothing came out of me. I desperately desired to have Alex's warm hand intertwined with mine sitting and staring at the glowing fireflies but it was gone. It was all gone.

My thought were interrupted as I could faintly make out conversation from outside the door. I sat my tray on the ground sitting down in front of it trying not to make any sudden movements. My ears picked up the faint murmuring as I slowly inched forward focusing all my attention on trying to hear every word that was being said.

"I think she is catching onto us," I heard a lady say.

"No, I don't believe so, she's not like the others. That's why the boss has his eyes on her. Didn't you see the way she made an entrance into the main control room? Everyone was staring at her," I heard a man reply.

My ears finally recognized who was speaking. It was Agent Williams and Detective Lawson. Why was I so special? Weren't they tired by now of who would come walking in next trying to start a revolution of making a statement with no necklace. I didn't understand why they were so focused on me. Why not Megan? She seemed like she had a lot to deal with when coming into here and she sure isn't going out without a fight.

"Well, everyone knows who her parents were," Detective Lawson mentioned.

Were? What happened to my parents? Every muscle in my body tensed as the realization of what was happening came crashing down onto me like a tidal wave. Suddenly, I didn't hear them talking anymore and I quickly covered up into my bed without making a sound. I tried to suck back in the tears as they both walked in with a huge smile beaming from their face.

Was this supposed to make me feel better? I couldn't handle the fact that everyone at this place was keeping secrets from me, even my parents. I just couldn't trust anyone but myself at this point and the thought scared me.

"So, what's on the agenda today?" I asked perkily.

If they were going to play the sappy happy trivial game, then two could play at that. I looked between both of them beaming. They looked confusingly at each other as I saw Detective Lawson writing furiously on her notepad. Well, there goes my plan on being discreet.

"We still have a few more questions to ask you," Agent Williams declared.

I leaned back on the wall behind me for support as I sat up straighter on my bed, crossed my arms, and looked at them waiting for the first question to be asked.

"Do you remember what happened to you?" asked Detective Lawson.

My mind was drawing a blank as I tried to think back to the time I took off my necklace. The only thing I could remember was blackness. Everything was a haze from the night and it all seemed blurry in my head as I strained to recollect it.

"No."

"Are you sure?" probed Detective Lawson.

"I don't remember a thing, is that bad?"

I dreadfully wished I could've lied and said I remembered someone hauling me off but every fiber in my being was acting even more sluggish today.

"No, that's perfectly normal. Whenever, you take off your necklace it triggers something inside you which caused you to faint," answered Agent Williams.

"So, why doesn't the necklace just kill me once I take it off?"

"Now, where's the fun in that?" smirked Agent Williams as he laughed if off as if it were a joke.

I could tell in his eyes that they were being perfectly serious. This was all a game of cat and mouse. The plot twist was; I was the cat.

I guess they made me faint in order for them to have enough time to haul me off to this horrible prison. It was bad enough losing three people in my life, I just couldn't bear the thought of losing Alex too.

The door beside mine shut with a thud as we grew silent listening to the footsteps outside. I heard Megan's slight voice mumble some answer back to someone she was with. Both of the FBI studied me as I quickly snapped back and stared straight at them. They didn't know what we were up to did they? Were they just playing all these mind games on us to try and ruin us mentally? Did they really think that probing for all these questions would take our minds off of the true outcome of all of this?

I looked over still seeing Detective Lawson whispering to Agent Williams and writing something down. Suddenly, my stomach gargled and they instantly stopped talking staring at me as if I was a science experiment.

"Can I go to restroom, please?" I asked.

Both of them stared at each other trying to decide if they should reply with no.

Finally, Agent Williams answered, "Sure, follow me."

I walked by Detective Lawson, pointed at her notepad and snapped, "What? You aren't going to write that question down?"

-------------------

So, I wrote this at like 12 am last week and the last scene in this chapter made me laugh so hard for some reason. Dang Maddie is getting sassy huh? I know this chapter was filled with narration and not much dialogue but I just wanted to give you guys a better view of what was going on!