|Ch. 5|

The only talking for most of the night after that was when Brian and I ordered our food. The silence was unbearable between us. The only sounds were the munching of chips in my mouth as I ate through already one basket of chips.

I saw Matthew coming to bringing us our food and my mouth watered.

He laid the plates of chicken, rice, and cheese in front of us and asked if we needed anything else. Brian and I shook our heads no and Matthew walked over to another table.

I dug into my food and chowed down on some more chips. I wasn't going to allow Brian's immaturity to ruin my meal.

I looked over at Brian and noticed he was moving his food around on his plate to seem like he was eating.

"Alright, I'm done with silence. What's wrong Brian?" I asked.

"It's nothing, Maddie."

He was driving me crazy. What was with him?

"C'mon Brian, just let me know what's going on?" I pleaded.

Brian continued to play with his food like a child and finally looked up into my eyes.

"Just let it go, Maddie."

We ate the rest of our food in silence.

The drive home was bearable as Brian played a mix tape of songs that I made for him for our one year anniversary. I sang along to most of them while Brian stared straight ahead focusing on driving.

Before I knew it, he was parked outside of my dorm. He put the car in park and turned to face me. I could feel his hot breath breathing on my face. I stared at him waiting for him to say something. He gently leaned in and kissed me on the forehead and stared at me waiting for me to make a move. I turned away from him and got out of the car.

Just as I was about to close the door, Brian said, "I love you, Maddie."

Brian had told me plenty of times that he loved me but this one was different. I tried my hardest to tell myself every time that he really and truly meant it and this time I believed myself.

I gleamed and said, "I love you too."

I closed the door to his car and walked into my dorm with a huge smile on my face. Maybe that's why Brian was acting weird at dinner? Or, was it?

The next day, I walked into class with the biggest grin on my face.

My smile soon vanished when I heard Mrs. Holiday say, "Are you guys ready for the test?"

Crap, I completely forgot about having a test today. I was so excited about Brian saying that he loves me that it just slipped my mind.

I saw Mrs. Holiday hand out the stacks of tests as I searched frantically throughout the room to see if anyone else was freaking out as much as I was. Suddenly, my gaze reached Alex. He was twirling his pencil in his hands studying his test. He seemed so focused and determined.

My thoughts were disrupted as Brian handed me the stack of tests to keep passing down. I grabbed a paper and passed it to a girl next to me.

I glanced through the questions and sat there with my head resting on my hand. I knew none of them. I looked over at Brian as he was answering each question with a breeze. How could he answer these questions so easily when he slept through each class?

Before I knew it, the time was up. I frantically looked over the answers to my test and handed it in to the teacher. I never not studied for a test and I knew I failed.

I walked out of the class hand in hand with Brian. My stride was slower than normal. Eventually, Brian was practically tugging my hand to get me to catch up with him.

Instantly, he knew something was wrong as he turned to face me, while our hands were still intertwined.

"How do you think you did on that test?" I asked.

"Pretty well, Thanks to my buddy Matt beside me for helping me out," He said nonchalantly.

"You cheated?" I said as Brian's hand quickly covered my mouth.

"No, I call it helping," he replied.

I stood there with my mouth open as Brian laughed.

"Gosh, you are so funny Maddie when you get mad," he said.

Are you kidding me? He thinks this is a joke? After I freaked out over this test, he decided to go and cheat? Who knows what else Brian did without me knowing.

"C'mon Maddie," Brian said tugging my hand, "we only have a few minutes before I have to go to my other class."

I reluctantly followed Brian as we ventured outside. I was so upset with Brian but I just couldn't put my thoughts into words to fight back against him. Every time his beautiful blue eyes stared me, I melted into a puddle and realized why I was in love with him.

"Alright, don't forget that Saturday is the Hawaii party so wear something tropical themed," Brian said to me.

"Like a coconut bra?" I said laughing.

Brian rolled his eyes and placed his hands on my face.

"This is why I love you," he said as he kissed my cheek, "I'll see you later."

I turned away from Brian and walked slowly over to the library taking in the nice mountainous breeze. From any view on our whole campus you could see the Blue Ridge Mountains and it was breathtaking. I always enjoyed the walks by myself, the mountains had this soothing effect that eased me.

I walked into the library and searched for a place to sit. It was packed with frantic college students as their eyes looked drained from reading and studying for hours.

I found a nice little nook away from people, hidden behind piles of books, and set my stuff down. I decided to get out my history book and read for a quiz that I had tomorrow.

I never really came to the library unless if I didn't want to go to my dorm. But today, I didn't feel like being cramped up all alone in my dorm. I figured my roommate was in there so I tried to avoid her at all costs.

Just as I flipped to the fifth chapter, I saw my roommate jogging over to me almost out of breath.

"You will never believe it!" She whispered winded as she was gripping her necklace.

"Did you find him?" I said pointing to her necklace.

"No, but I felt it warm up, he was in here, Maddie! He was here," She said overly excited.

A few people leaned back in their chairs and stared at us as Sally giggled loudly.

"Shh... you're going to get us kicked out gosh," I said laughing.

"Maddie, just imagine, he is here. He is at our college. I just have to find him. I wonder if he knows who I am?"

I sat there nodding as Sally kept going on about her soulmate. At least she was in a good mood, but I wondered who he could be? Who was Sally all giggly over? Was he anything like Brian or was he all shy and quiet?

These thoughts overcame me as I questioned Brian and I's relationship. Who allowed for us to be together? I mean there was someone that had to choose who got what necklace. But who was it?

----------
Surprise!!! A brand new chapter!! Do you guys think that Brian really meant that he loved Maddie this time? Does he even love her? Comment and let me know what you think will happen next ☺️ Chapter 6 will be posted on Friday ☺️