|Ch. 17|

My foot impatiently tapped on the hard floor. I nervously looked between the two of them trying to read the emotions within their eyes.

"We are removing all memory of you from his brain," stated Agent Williams.

"No. You can't possibly do that," I said taking a step away from them.

I watched as they stood in front of me in silence. My heaving breath was starting up again as I stared at Brian laying on the table. He looked lifeless and his eyes were drooping from how tired he was. I couldn't let my last words be "I have to go." I wanted to march right in there and tell him how sorry I was. How I was the reason for all of this.

The apprehension came to me that when he wakes up, he won't remember me. He won't recall all the times we laughed together, all the cute dates he would take me on. Nothing.

"We know this must be hard for you, but it's just what we had to do," said Detective Lawson.

How could they possibly know what I felt at this moment? Did they even realize that my first love was being erased of all memory of me? Did they realize that I was so deeply in love with him at certain points in my life?

"Just what you had to? This isn't the only way to make things better," I replied.

"You made your choice already. Need I remind you of that?" Agent Williams retorted.

I shook my head "no." I was in love with Alex, there was no denying that. However, I had become so accustomed to always having Brian there, it was going to take some adjusting to not be with him all the time. For once in my life, I was free of Brian and I felt lost. I didn't know what my next move was or what laid ahead, and that frightened me.

"What about Brian? What's going to happen?" I questioned.

"We have selected a new soulmate to be paired with Brian," said Detective Lawson.

"Who?" I stammered.

Whoever she was, I knew she couldn't compare to me. I gave Brian absolutely everything. But, it's not like he would recollect hat anyway.

"I don't know if we can disclose that information to you," Agent Williams answered.

"Are you kidding me? I at least deserve to know who he is going to be paired with," I demanded.

I stared at them with piercing eyes as they stood defiantly with their arms crossed. I knew they weren't going to budge. I had to figure out some way to know who Brian was going to spend the rest of his life with. The anger fumed out of me as a pang of dryness hit the back of my throat. I stared at Brian as the machine circulated around his head.

I pounded on the glass, screaming at the top of my lungs, "Brian!"

Both of the FBI personnel pulled me away from the glass as tears began to stream down my face. I kicked my feet screaming at them to let me go. My voice echoed the halls as their hands were tearing into my skin and I tried to rip their fingers from my arms.

Suddenly a tall grey haired man shouted, "Let her go."

I was dropped and landed with a thud on the ground. The man stepped closer to me and stared down at me with a fuming look in his eyes.

"What is going on here?" he asked.

"Well Mr. Bates, we were just escorting her back to her room," Agent Williams said as his voice still quivered.

"I was asking the young lady, Maddie right?" He asked.

I stabilized myself with my knees on the ground slowly standing up one foot at a time. I stared into his wrinkled eyes and nodded "yes."