1: Check Me Out

In the process of rewriting this book so apologies for the choppy style on the unedited chapters! Hope y'all still enjoy!

//

Travis was bored again. This job was continually and unequivocally mundane.

In fact, he'd only asked if they were hiring because he needed something to fuel his caffeine addiction. There are worse things to be addicted to, he'd told himself as he signed his afternoons away from three thirty to seven thirty. Ten bucks an hour, every day except Sunday. At first it was fun; he was on the floor, talking to everyone who walked in the door whether they wanted his conversation or not. He harbored more than a few opinions of each book the store's patrons would ask him about– he was rather well read for someone his age. His advices usually lead the store's customers to buy one or two less books than they planned to.

Management was not happy. He got moved to the register after his first week of work.

His job had been the same ever since. Login to his computer, scan books, bag books, sit there. Do nothing. He made a habit of talking as much as he could when addressed; his superiors couldn't get mad at him because he happened to be the only employee willing to work at the front. He did have to rebuttal quite a few angry moms, and most of the employees were painfully shy. He didn't mind at all, especially because it gave him a chance to forget his boredom.

Travis had been attempting to finish a crossword puzzle from yesterday's paper when a juicy young man approached his register. He stuck out like a sore thumb in the bookstore in technical fabric and a hoodie with some sport team logo embroidered on the front. He wasn't very fond of sports, especially the kind with pageantry; fortunately for him, that was almost every kind.

"Welcome to Barnes & Noble," he chorused in his usual mantra. "Did you find everything alright?"

"Yeah. Thanks," he answered curtly, looking down to check his phone and paying no mind to the man who was supposed to be bagging his book. He hated bookstores or quiet places, and this place in the lull of the day seemed to be fulfilling that fantasy. He just wanted to leave.

Travis noticed the patron's disinterest in his surroundings. He's obviously a douche if he hasn't even looked me in the eye yet, he reasoned, so maybe I can play with my food a little bit....

He goes in for the tease. "Sir, please reach into your front pocket. I have reason to believe you might have stolen something from us with how uncouth you're acting," he states, hoping that he could at least ruffle the handsome guests' feathers a little bit.

"Do you think I'm an idiot?" He seethes quietly, looking up at Travis for the first time they'd begun talking. His face twitched to express his discomfort. "I don't steal. I'll check if it'll get you to just do your job."

Travis smiles even wider at this. It's almost too easy to make him squirm. "You're not an idiot, sir. This is me just doing my job," he practically sings, finger tapping on the countertop impatiently.

The customer turns his pocket inside out, revealing nothing inside. He raises a sardonic brow at the cashier who was starting to get on his nerves. "See? Nothing there."

"I'd actually appreciate it if you gave my heart back to me. You did steal it, didn't you?" he questions, smiling cheekily. His boss hated when he flirted with customers, but what would she do? Stop him? "It's company property and replacing it comes out of my paycheck."

"Piss off," he spits, face heating up to further show his anger. "You have the wrong guy for that. I'm getting this book as a birthday gift for my girlfriend," he reeled, putting emphasis on the final word of his sentence. Travis had won, per usual; he never knew when to stop, but he figured since he'd already gotten the jock all hot and bothered that he would lay down his barbed tongue.

"Romeo and Juliet?" Travis says to himself, examining the store's berry-red paperback of choice. "A classic. She'll love it if she likes the mushy-gushy stuff," he explains. "I didn't like it myself. I'd suggest reading an Austen or an Alcott if she wants something less tragic."

"Quit playing nice and just check me out, will you?" Travis lets his customer muddle in his  words and smiles wide when he realizes what he'd just said. He goes a deep pink that blooms from his cheeks to his neck and ears while Travis takes his turn at raising his brow.

"You're just egging me on now, aren't you?" Travis teases, choosing to forego the reply of I already did to save his job. He could have said so many things to make him fluster, but he stuck to the script. Per usual. "Your total rings up to be $7.49," he says merrily.

The boy practically shoves his wad of cash at Travis. "Just keep the change and give me the damn book," he mutters.

Travis feigned offense and gave quickly handed him his book. He snatched it greedily, made eye contact once more, and speed-walked out the double doors of the store.

Travis felt like he had just participated in a drug deal because of how quickly he fled. Like he was afraid of being caught inside of a bookstore. Must be a surprise present, he mused, humming to himself as he picked his pen up again and looked for 28 Across.

//

New writing style with actual internal dialogue!  Wrote the original in middle school so it seems fit that the story gets better as I write better. Do we like?