Chapter Seven

Ariana's POV

          I absentmindedly rubbed my sore neck as I made my way back to my cabin; I didn’t miss the death glare that Kane sent in my direction as I walked by. Man the last two days have been really screwed up; I was rejected by my mate, managed to get my coach to hate me even more than before and to top it off found out that my parents lied just to get rid of me. I was lying in bed when there was a light knock at the door before Anna came in.

“Hey how did your sessi…..” She stopped mid sentence and ran her hand lightly across my bruised neck.

“What the hell happened?” She asked.

“I smacked Gabriel across the face and he retaliated.” I replied with a small chuckle; I was past the point of being angry now and just decided that I just needed to get over everything that has went wrong in the last few days and just move on with my life.

“And you find this funny why?” She asked still looking concerned.

“Anna my life has been thrown in a wood chipper and cut up into a million pieces in the last few days; I’ve come to terms with it and decided that instead of trying to put all those pieces back together I’m just going to start over. The new me isn’t going to sit around and stew on things that I can’t change or would have done different; I’m moving on with my life and from now on I don’t really give a crap what people think of me. I’m not going to take crap from anyone and I’m not going to sit back like a good little girl and let people walk all over me; I’m starting fresh and starting strong!” I said pumping my fist in the air like I just had my own personal victory.

“Good, I hate push overs.” She replied before we both fell into a fit of laughs.

“Really though Ari, do you want to tell me what caused this whole ’I’m back and I’m a badass’ thing? What happened to make you want to completely start your life over?” She asked all of a sudden ruining to good moment and turning serious.

“I found out today that my parents lied to get me in here, they wanted me out of their lives so bad that they actually claimed that I was addicted to meth, cocaine, and pain pills so that I would be accepted into the program. You don’t have to believe me but I swear to you that I have never done those things in my life. After I sort of snapped off on Gabriel for calling me a junkie I decided that its not worth the fight anymore; if people want to think of me that way then that’s fine, I know that’s not the person that I am and to me that’s all that matters.” I confessed most of what was bothering me and caused me to want to change who I was; I thought it best to leave out the Gabriel is my mate and he rejected me part, it was painfully obvious that he didn’t want anyone to know.

“I knew from the first day that I met you that you were different, you didn’t show any signs of a normal drug addict and you still had a personality which is usually one of the first things to go when someone gets into hard drugs like that. I’m sorry that your parents lied to get you here and if you want I can talk to Dr. Sanders and see about getting you out.” She replied.

“No that’s ok, I just have a few months until I turn eighteen then I will be able to go back and start a life of my own; to be honest with you at this point I would rather be here than to be with my parents. Actually I’m kind of looking forward to making Kane’s life a little more difficult for the rest of my stay; hey if I’m supposed to be a rebellious drug addict I might as well act like one right?” I said as an evil smile spread across my face.

“Oh god, I can’t wait to see this.” Anna replied and I could feel her excitement pouring off her.

“Hey its dinner time lets go get some grub.” She said pulling me off the bed and dragging me out the door.

          The next day Kane held true to his promise from the previous day and I was forced to stay over an extra twenty-five minutes after training to do more workouts; I thought for sure that I was going to get out of it but apparently his punishment carries over if not completed when it should be. I have been doing my best to stay calm and not cause any problems but at the same time I told myself that I wasn’t going to take any crap for anyone so the first person to push my buttons was surely going to be in for a surprise.

          The week passed pretty much uneventful; I would spend most of my off time hanging out with Anna. She was a really nice person and the only one that actually believe that I was telling the truth, after only a week here I could see that we were on the path to being best friends. I talked to Nora on and off but mostly it was just when she would wake me up from oversleeping; she was nice enough but we really didn’t have anything in common other than the fact that we were both stuck at this rehab center together. The other two girls that shared a cabin with us completely kept to themselves, honestly I don’t know if I have even heard them speak more than two words the whole time I have been here.

          It was just past eleven on Saturday night when I woke up to aches and pains in my stomach; they started out mild but as the time went on they got to the point where I just wanted to scream. Not wanting to wake up any of my roommates I headed to the bathroom and turned on the shower hoping that the hot water would help sooth the pain. I sat in the shower curled up in a ball as pain after pain ripped through my body; just when I thought that it couldn’t get any worse another pain shot through me, I could only compare it to being repeatedly stabbed in the same spot with a jagged knife. A quite whimper escaped my lips and moments later the pain started to subside; I dried off quickly and went back to lie in bed. My mind was going crazy trying to figure out what could have caused the pain but I couldn’t come up with an answer.

          The rest of the night I was restless only getting a few hours of sleep, I was thankful that the next day was Sunday and I would have some time to rest and recover from my sleepless night. I spent most of the day on the beach like I did the first Sunday that I was here; when Anna had free time she would come and join me for a swim. I thought about telling her about the pain to see if she knew what it could be but it just didn’t seem right to have to bother her with my problems.

          I hadn’t seen or heard from Gabriel since the day he had me in a choke hold in the office; I don’t know if I was happy or sad about that. As much as I disliked him right now for rejecting me he was still my mate and no matter how much I tried to tell myself we didn’t need him neither my wolf nor myself would really believe it. Sometimes I would get a faint whiff of his scent and my wolf would start howling in my head begging me to go find him and beg him to accept us. I had made up my mind from the day he rejected us that I wouldn’t beg for him to take us back; if he didn’t want us then we didn’t need him, or at least that was what I was going to keep telling myself.

          The next week I had my first experience in wolf form since I came here; it was really odd being locked in a cage and only having a small area to run back and forth in. Not only did my wolf not really feel free but when I let her loose all she wanted to do was go search for her mate; needless to say it was more or a stress builder than a release and I decided the less I let her out while I’m here the better.

          Dr. Sanders still didn’t believe me that I wasn’t a junkie and during our next counseling session we spent eighty percent of it arguing and only twenty percent talking about the real issues I had. I felt more upset by the time I came out of the office than I was when I went in and I’m pretty sure that it was supposed to have the opposite effect; really though what do you expect to happen when you feel like the person you are talking to doesn’t believe a word that comes out of your mouth?