Chapter Thirteen: Holy shit is right

The docks are quiet at night. The water is calm, reflecting the city lights off it. Sort of looks like a mini galaxy of colors. I know it sounds lame but, for someone like me, calmness is a rarity.

     I used to come here all the time when I was younger. Being able to do what I can do means Kristoff never felt the need to assign anyone to protect me. From the second I learned to control my power I was free to come and go as I pleased. As long as I told someone I was leaving and kept a phone on me, no one really seemed to care where I went. Well, until there was a dangerous raid or hunt to go on. Then I was top priority. I guess that is why I liked being with Marcus so much. He treated me more like a person and less like a weapon.

     I watch Ash as he stares out towards the water, his face eerily relaxed. He hasn't spoke in minutes. Not since I filled him in on the everything that has happened over the last two day. The fight with Marcus. Demi's outburst. Aryn's announcement about the murders and his need to join us until things get sorted out. My brief conversation with Kristoff about my mother.

    That had really seemed to spark his interest. I had told him everything Kristoff had told me about my mother, how she was and what she could do. I was hoping maybe Ash could give me some more insight to her but he had said nothing. Just nodded and listened while the endless flow of words fel from my mouth. Getting it all out was like a weight being lifted off my shoulders.

    "What else am I supposed to be able to do?" I ask. "You said you knew others, others who were like me. What could they do?"

    "Pretty much the same as you. Only they were better trained as you. They could pull from humans, demon, angels and pretty much any other creature with a life force in them. All but one could do it without even laying a finger on them. They could just feel the life pulsing through someone and pull without a touch. They could heal the same way too. They were more in tune with their senses. They could sense a demon or angel from miles away. Always aware. Always on watch. They had learned early on that their lives were a bit more dangerous than others."

    He stops talking, chewing slightly on his lowers lip as he begins to stare back out at the water. He makes no attempt to make eyes contact with me.

     "You're hiding something," I accuse.

     "I was there when he heard the prophecy. In Hell the day he found at. Belial, who is pretty much the guys right hand man, was the one who had told him. The prophecy told him he would produce six daughters, all of which would posses his main power. You've pretty much figured out what that is. The Pull. But one daughter, one of the six, would grow to be his biggest enemy. She would travel down into Hell and destroy him. She would then take his place as the ruler of Hell. I think...I think he was talking about you. There is something different about you."

     "Different?" My voice is barely above a whisper. I shove my hands back into my pocket, not wanting to risk him seeing that they are shaking.

     "The others were powerful. They were highly skilled and better trained but they all felt the same. I knew there was something different about you the first time I saw you. I could feel the power humming around you. It was overwhelming. Intoxicating. Five other daughters Makenna. I have encountered five of his daughters and not one of them has had half the power you do. Even if He hadn't put a price on your head you would spend almost your entire life attracting all sorts of demons. I am surprised you weren't found out soon. Then again, He did keep the prophecy quiet for a few years. I guess he didn't want to believe he could be over thrown. But me? I've spent years looking for you."

     I pull myself off the ground, the sudden urge to walk is overwhelming. All of the information he is giving me is rushing around my brain like a tornado and walking seems like the thing to do at the moment. It is one thing to be the daughter of Satan. It is another thing to be told that the most evil person ever has decided to put a hit out on you. It is a completely different, life changing, brain frying thing to find out that the only person who has met all of the others has confirmed that you are the supposed next ruler of Hell.