Ch. 7: New Greenie

Start from the beginning

'Hey, Minho?'

'Yeah?' As we both stare at our Grievers and each other.

'You ever play Chicken before?'

'Have I ever played with a Chicken before? What the shuck kind of question is that?'

'No, it IS a game.'

'Oh, no?'

'OK, when I say duck, you duck, OK?'

'OK.' The Grievers start sprinting off towards each other. As they get closer, Minho slips his hand into mine and squeezes it tight. I stare down at our intertwined hands and blush. I focus back ont the Grievers and come to my senses. Right when they were about 5 metres in front of us, they jumped and launched themselves forward, looking like they were about to tackle us.

'Now! Duck!' Minho and I duck with our hands still locked together. The Grievers hit each other and Minho and I roll out of the way in time for the Grievers' bodies to collide with the stone floor.

'Well, that was interesting.' We eat the rest of our food, run some more and head back to the Glade. As we arrive back at the Glade, it was only 30 more minutes until the doors would close. Thomas was also back and we found him in the Map Room.

'Hey, guys. You're back. Did you two have a good time?'

'What's so good about running in the Maze?'

'No, I didn't mean that.' He jerks his head towards our still locked hands. Both Minho and I jump in shock and we retract our hands. Thomas chuckles and I hit him in the arm. Thomas finishes mapping out his section and stays for a while. Minho and I are in the middle of mapping out our section when an alarm blares.

'What's that?'

'That means a new Greenie's here.'

'Wow, I can't believe I've already been here for two months.'

'Yeah, wait, 'til you're here for a long time, Ax.'

'At least you won't have to call Thomas, Greenie anymore.' I laugh at their little fights every now and then.

'I'm still right here, you know?' Thomas yells out of the blue. Minho and I stifle a giggle and walk over to The Box area. The Box finally comes up, with its familiar metal doors. I can still picture me, hyperventilating and trying to hide in the crates.

Newt and Gally approach the Box, pulls off the metal covers and sees the Greenie. Some other boys, including Winston and Minho, start unloading supply crates. I spot a white-haired boy with electric blue eyes. He seems familiar, but I just can't put my finger on it.

He looks around, looking like he's daydreaming, but at the same time, looking like he's lost. He whimpers as Newt and Gally approach him.

Gally approaches him first and the albino-haired boy flinches. 'Aw, shuck, Gally. You're already scaring the Greenie?'

'Shut up, Newt.' Newt approaches the boy more steadily and calmly. 'Hey, we won't hurt you. The name's Newt and that over there is Gally.' He points over to Gally, who looks through the crates to make sure that they were the right supplies.

'I-I don't remember my name.'

'Don't worry. It happens to all of us. Oi! Can you shanks bloody lower the rope down?' Since all of the boys were out unloading the crates or eating and 'accidentally' didn't hear the alarm, I was the only one listening, really.

'Oi, guys?'

'Yo! Those shanks left to unload.' I yell. 'Look out below!' I throw down the rope towards them and they start climbing. The ground starts shaking a bit and the Maze doors shut. The boy yelps and hugs the rope closer to him.

'Hey, it's OK.' I try to soothe and comfort him. 'That happens everyday, twice a day.'

'Y-Yeah, OK.' He finally hauls himself up and Newt closely follows him behind, swiftly climbing the rope, as his experience and years in the Glade have left him intensely built up in survival skills.

'Hey, what's that in your hand?' I gesture my head towards a piece of paper in the boy's hand.

'I-I don't know. I j-just realised this.' He stretches his arm out in front of me and opens his hand up. A piece of scrumpled up paper is revealed and I take the note.

'Hey, what's that?' Newt asks behind me.

'Oh, God, please don't bloody do that.'

'Sorry.'

'It's a note.'

'What's it say?

-

-

-

'He's the last one... Ever.' Newt and I both look at each other quizically. We both know that the Creators are the people who sent us here. But what do they mean by this?

-----

In Wonderland

Mad Hatter