Chapter 39 - Never Let Go

~ ~ Chapter Thirty Nine ~ ~

Bullets were firing past our heads, narrowly missing us and causing some severe damage, but I knew it was only a matter of seconds before one of these tiny pieces of metal would connect with a vital organ of some kind belonging to either Mia or myself.

We needed a miracle right about now to save our arses and in my heart, I knew we weren’t going to be getting one.

“You got anything at all?” Mia screamed from beside me and I spared her a quick glance before looking down the long dark and deserted road spread out before us.

“Nothing, I'm all empty,” I gasped back, trying to keep my breathing steady, but I desperately needed a break from all this running.  I’ve never had a problem before with so much running, but tonight I just seem to be out of it.

Tyres screeched up ahead as a sleek black car came flying around the corner, a small trail of smoke following behind the back end as the tyres burnt from the speeds of such a sharp move.

“Shit!” Mia cursed loudly and I looked behind us, panic filling my body like a brick to the face. Déjà vu. I felt trapped, helpless, just like in the car with Baden that night long ago. I was cornered from both ends, only this time I didn’t have the love of my life alongside me, holding my hand and whispering sweet words into my ears, replacing the panic with deep emotions.

No, this time I had Mia, and that was okay with me.

“Just keep running!” I shouted, feeling a newfound determination burst inside me, she was here with me until the end, just like she had said she would be. I owed it to her to keep on fighting until I had absolutely nothing left inside of me, not even my life.

The car flew down the road towards us with such precise skill that I could tell the driver wasn’t going to miss his target. He was going to run us down like mere road kill. My eyes darted to the buildings on my right-hand side, a dark gap that didn’t blend in with the rest made itself stand out and I smiled a little, “The alley! Head for the alley!” I screamed at Mia as I pointed in the direction for what I was shouting about.

It wasn’t much of a hope, but we had to try something and no doubt this was going to bite us in the bloody arse in a matter of minutes. We just had to do something though.

The distant between the car and us lessened dramatically with each passing second and the distant between us, and the people trying to shoot us down from behind shortened as well.

The only real question right now is – who will get to us before the other ones?

“If I die tonight Leila – I'm going to haunt the crap out of you!” Mia cursed and threatened as we dodged to the side, in hopes of making it to at least the start of the alley before the car could hit us.

“I give you permission too,” I shouted back just as the tyres on the vehicle screeched again, sliding sideways towards us. I looked up, caught like a deer in headlights as I watched with wide eyes the drivers window roll down and the tip of a seriously destructive weapon poked out.

“Duck!” a female’s voice roared. Mia kept on running; I turned to watch her ignore the order and lunged at her legs, hoping I could grab her in time as the sounds of bullets fired off; blasting through the air in a continuous stream of firepower, just as I grabbed Mia around the knees and brought her plummeting to the hard ground.

Mia cried out in pain as I let go of her legs to try to lessen the impact of my own fall, jarring my elbow hard, which caused instant tears to spring to my eyes along with a sharp throbbing pain that made me laugh and scream in agony.