Chapter 8: Transition

Start from the beginning

          The steel tables were bigger than she thought, and only then, when she came close to one, did she find that they were containing enormous sinks at the middle. On its walls were several holes where smaller tubes protruded out and connected to a gel-like medium that filled half of the sink.

           "So this is where—"

          "The transfusion sink, madame. This is where the initial stage of the process takes place. The prospect would be submerged on the medium, which is—" she pressed a button, along the apron, and a rectangular opening slid open before the sink.

          "The medium's a gel is pre-saturated with stabilizing agents, compounds—most of which the supernaturals are highly dependable of. Our team has made unprecedented breakthroughs about this project in the past months, we worked on finding better alternatives to eradicate those flaws that—"she paused for one second to look at the Secretary General who seemed to be totally drawn.

          Recognizing what that stare meant, "Oh yeah, let's skip that part" the Secretary General promptly decided not to touch that complicated part of the story—the one she won't want to tackle right now. She signaled Dr. Laya to go on.

          "And every single bit of those breakthroughs, is here" she raised her palm adrift, over the medium. 

          "The tubes are where the continuous retroviral supply will flow through to our medium and to our host of course, because as you know, we have to make sure that the parvovirus would firmly attach to the target host cells. We know that the virus needed have varying affinity to our hosts—

          "Wait, we haven't solved that? I thought you've got unprecedented breakthrough?" she cast her a look of slight disappointment.

           "Well, we've found some strains of these retroviruses that could potentially eliminate that flaw, but unfortunately, using them as alternatives is much riskier than using the ones we've used in the past, for each of them might present, bigger complications and negative effects to our prospects.

          She walked toward the other end of the table where two gas hook ups were placed connecting to the sink and extended to the ceiling.

          "These are where the oxygen and carbon dioxide go in and out, respectively and—"she threw her gaze at the monitor dangling on the wall.

          "That's where our NA Electrophoresis is monitored once the retrovirus successfully infected the host cell. As you can see here, the supernatural DNA shall consequentially interlope with our host's DNA—unwanted fragments will be eliminated in the process. A fixed amount of fragments, pairs or molecular weight shall be met depending on what retrovirus is involved. Once met, that would end the retrivoviral flow to the host cells, and that would also signal for us to focus on monitoring the replication activity of the DNA. And that—

           She looked up at a monitor that was hanging from the ceiling and directly placed over the sink, "is our spectrometric monitor. For each group, that should render a specific color"

           "Interesting" the Secretary General nodded.

          "Well, there are a lot of things to tell, actually, but..." she glanced sideways to her desk where a fat man seemed to be waiting for her, standing as he scan through some papers laid over her table.

          Heartfilia recognized the need to finally let her go, though she was still eager to hear more about the whole transition thing and the things that follow after the successful transition stage.

          "You can come back later" she said, waving her to go "Oh that's Dr. Rubberr" she added, pointing the doctor who came rushing off the stairs to approach her.