Chapter Five:

If this was what the Great Dryads had in mind of helping him, then Dem'rick knew he was in big trouble. Through the crack of the crates Dem'rick saw the owner of the ship and someone who would throw him overboard the moment he saw him. Rylon, a fisherman born on the shores of Manyu was forced to bend over or else hit his head on the beams of the hull. Wind whipped fiery hair sat on top of his head and an amused smile spread across his scruffy face as he stared at Dem'rick's mentor.

"Not what I was expecting for a slaver's catch." Rylon chuckled, his laugh low like a rumble of thunder. Benigno returned Rylon's amused smile with a nod of his head.

"Expectation is normally led with disappointment." Benigno replied, swaying as the crashing waves rocked the boat, shifting the contents of the containers and almost knocking over the crates concealing Dem'rick's hiding place. Dem'rick grabbed them as quickly as he could but that small shift of movement brought Rylon's focus to his area.

"Normally, yes," Rylon smile faded and his hand rested on the hilt of a double edged axe, "soldiers passed through the area spouting their usually nonsense of fugitives in the area. They were looking for two men... one old—" Rylon pointed his axe towards Benigno, "and one a young man," he swung the axe over to Dem'rick's hiding spot.

Benigno cursed and let out a low sigh before looking over at Dem'rick, "You seem a smart man, and an honest one at that. Any other fisherman would have thrown us off by now, but why haven't you?"

Rylon scrutinized Benigno, and a smile curved on his lips once again, "Curiosity always became me, and the description of the young man heightened my curiosity.

So, why don't you come out Dem?"

Dem'rick's heart thudded loudly in his ears, and he bit his lip trying to think if there was another way out. An idea came to him, and he hoped it worked; otherwise they were going to go for a swim and a rather chilly one at that. Dem'rick stood his head just grazing the ceiling of the hull and stared into the amber eyes of the fisherman.

"Hey, Rylon."

If Benigno was confused he did not show it, just watching the two acknowledge each other in silence. Rylon's eyebrows furrowed as he glowered at Dem'rick, in one fluid motion he opened the hatch and disappeared above deck.

Dem'rick released the breath he had been holding and tried to avoid meeting his mentor gaze.

"So, you know each other?" Benigno asked, watching as Dem'rick crossed the hull and grabbed the steps to head up on deck.

"Yeah, we know each other." Dem'rick frowned; he hoped that their echoing destinies would not result in a cold bath today.

Dem'rick pulled himself up and before he had time to collect his barings Rylon had him around the collar dragging him towards the edge of the ship, "Wow!" Dem'rick shouted just as Rylon pinned him against the railing, he was definitely wrong. Rylon was going to throw him overboard.

"Give me one good reason not to throw you off right now?" Rylon growled, his hands shaking with rage.

"It's good to see you again too," Dem'rick curved his mouth into a smile, but the faint wrinkles around the man's mouth and forehead increased with his frown. Rylon hadn't changed much since the last few months, same weather worn expression that matched his dreary clothing.

"I'm not playing one of your games here," Rylon's grip tightened around Dem'rick's collar.

The land was still visible and the Vaasean Mountains towered high into the sky, their white peaks barely visible beneath the clouds which were forming quickly for another storm. The wind was brutally cold out on the deck, whipping against Dem'rick's face.