Chapter Three:

Dem'rick stared into the alabaster uniforms of the elite Tamarian guards that surrounded the nomads' camp. The uniforms were designed to fit the terrain of the land, pure and white, deadly as the winter storms that racked the land. Their eyes were blank slates, uninterested in the world around them even as they aimed their crossbows at young children, and families. These men would not hesitate to slaughter every single one of the nomads all in the name for their king, and Dem'rick knew Deverow never minded a few meaningless deaths, especially the one that now stained Dem'rick's own hands.

Dem'rick's blood boiled and the grip on his sword tightened at the thought of these innocent people being caught in Dem'rick's chaos; as his grip tightened so did the burning pain in his hand. The injury worsened within the last hour, but he tried not to let it concern him, for the nomads were going to need his help fighting off the soldiers now knocking on their doorstep.

The man in the middle stepped forward, Dem'rick immediately identified him as the leader, his fur lined collar and boots marked him as such. The rest followed in suit, beginning to surround the simple folk, but as if in response the people huddled together forming a blockage right in front of Dem'rick and Benigno.

Benigno rested a hand on Dem'rick's shoulder, steadying the young man to remain seated. His hands were shaking; a clear indicator that even the wise man did not know the soldiers would catch up so quick, "Look at their eyes." Benigno whispered, and Dem'rick followed his gaze noticing once more the men were heartless, no soulless was a better term. Their free will was snatched from them with a simple command from their king.

"Deverow used his ability," Dem'rick breathed, realizing the real reason why the men were able to catch up so quickly. Once the mind was under Deverow's control, there was nothing stopping him from bending anyone to his will. As a child he would force some of the weak minded servants to do anything he wanted, the King and Queen were forced to find well intelligent individuals to keep everyone safe. The older Deverow became the less it mattered about strength of the mind, because Deverow grew strong enough in his ability that he could control anyone he chose to. Everyone except one. Dem'rick.

These men traveled through the mountains, without the mortal sense of danger, because their sole mission was to kill Dem'rick. Without stopping to hunt and provide for the basic needs these men were able to catch up to them. The morning session had ended; Deverow now had the power to hunt him down. The world had a lot more problems than Deverow taking away the freedom of the Tamarian people for he would ultimately force all his enemies under his will. Dem'rick was the only one that could stop him, and if they were killed here by these men then the world was doomed.

Benigno tapped Dem'rick twice on the shoulder before swiftly moving in Yared's direction disappearing behind the pyre. It was safe to say the vicious, mindless soldiers had not seen the traitors. Dem'rick waited a second before moving to join them. His head immediately spun and the fire flashed bright in his eyes blinding him for a moment as his stomach lurched. The moment passed as quickly as it came, and he glanced down at his hand, the blue flakes were now a swollen purple mass. His heart raced and he gripped his sword once more, ignoring the shooting pain from the touch, before following his mentor behind the pyre.

Yared was gripping his staff and all aspects of affability disappeared from his face, "We are sorry to have brought this upon you my friend," Benigno gripped Yared's arm, a symbol of friendship.

"Apologize later when the journey is finished, and our world safe," Yared replied.

Dem'rick's head was still spinning to say anything, but he certainly gave Benigno a scowl. The less people knew about their journey and where they were headed was for the better. Kept everyone safe, but at least he understood the reason for Yared's strange behavior and difference towards him. "We have to stop them—"