Shawn frowned. "She should've told you you were on speakerphone."

"Oh, you thought I cared, Shawn? You're cute."

Bey shook her head at the two of them. She thought that their little friendship was cute.

"Whatever." It was the only reply that Shawn could muster up.

"Anyways, you gone call me when it's over?"

"Of course."

"Good, because I gotta tell you something."

Bey finished her hair and took the phone from Shawn's hands. "What do you have to tell me?"

"You gotta wait. Just let me know how the meeting goes. Good luck!"

Bey only chuckled before replying. "Well thank you."

The sisters said their goodbyes before hanging up. She looked over at Shawn watching her and slowly walked over to him. He wrapped his arms around her waist and looked down at her. Their foreheads connected before their lips did.

"I gotta go pick up Christina and Ash," he spoke softly.

Bey only nodded her head. Ever since the spa in Chicago opened, Christina had been back and forth in and out of both cities. It was truly unknown where her primary residence was, because she spent equal time in both cities. For the summer, Shawn was the main caretaker for Ashlyn, but Christina took her due to their trip to Houston.

With another kiss on the lips, Shawn left her home. This gave her a few minutes to pace and prepare herself once more. She was more than nervous now that she was alone. This wasn't something that came easy. She had to convince a complete stranger that she was worthy of being someone's mother.

Hearing the doorbell, Bey looked up and bit down on her bottom lip. The walk to the door seemed to take her hours, but only seconds had passed. She opened the door and was taken completely off guard. The woman's expression didn't match her own. Bey was shocked, and slightly angry. This woman? She was amused. Very amused.

"Ms. Knowles?" The beauty said with a pearly smile. It was the same one that Bey remembered that faithful night.

"Ms. Harris.."

Ms. Harris stuck her hand out for Beyoncé to shake. Hesitantly, Bey did so.

"I don't bite, Beyoncé. We're not here to discuss the elephant in the room, may I come in?"

Bey let out a deep breath before moving out of the way. Bey had everything planned out. She was going to offer the woman a drink and a small snack, but not anymore.

"Your home is beautiful. Very...simple," she said before sitting down on Bey's couch.

"Thank you."

"So, how are you? How have you been?"

"I've been fine."

"Is there anyone in your life?"

"Is that question truly needed?" Bey asked defensively.

Ms. Harris paused for a moment before smiling. "Yes. We need to know of any significant other in your life before we give you a baby. I'm pretty sure this person will be around your child as well, am I correct?"

Bey nodded. "Yes. There is."

"What is his name?" She opened her briefcase and pulled a pad and pen out.

"Shawn Carter."

"How did the two of you meet?"

"He was the principal at the old school that I worked at."

"So you're a teacher. What grade do you teach?"

"Twelfth."

"Subject?"

"English."

Ms. Harris nodded her head. "So tell me why you want to adopt a child. Do you have a condition where you cannot have your own children?"

Bey was almost certain that she knew the answer to that. "There's nothing wrong with my body. I want to adopt a child, because I'm adopted."

"That's it?"

Bey smirked. "I would rather nurture a child that's already in this world rather than bring another one into the world. My mother was perfectly capable of having her child, but decided to adopt."

"Is this...Mr. Carter okay with this? Have you even discussed this with him?"

"Mr. Carter is supportive."

"How long have the two of you been together?"

"Going on two months," Bey answered honestly.

Ms. Harris looked at Bey before putting the pen down. "Two months?"

"Yes."

"Beyoncé, do you know this man?"

"There's a difference between knowing someone and being with someone. The question was how long we've been together. I answered that. If you wanted to know how long I've known him, you should've asked that."

Ms. Harris smirked. "The iconic Beyoncé attitude. Idris was right."

Beyoncé smirked as well. "Are we discussing the baby or Idris?"

"We're discussing you. Stop getting defensive. It was years ago. Idris and I –"

"You're happy with a child, I get it. Don't worry, I've been in contact with him."

Ms. Harris's eyes narrowed at that. "I know how you met Mr. Carter, and I'm going to politely warn you that if you dare overstep your boundaries with my man, you kiss this baby goodbye. This meeting is over. I'll be in contact," she said as she began gathering her belongings.

Furious? That wasn't a word to describe how it was for her. The same woman that slept with her ex husband is the same woman that she has to prove herself to?