An Incident at Mucho's Shakes

Start from the beginning

"Whoa whoa whoa, hold up. What hippo?" Rita inquired puzzled at today's issue.

"This thing." Ms. Razi addressed the truck in disapproval.

"This, dear Ms. Razi, is a car. And this, dear Ms. Razi, is where I park it. And that, dear Ms. Razi, is not going to change. I've gotta go now, we've got a... uh... appointment... PEACE" Rita calmly explained and stepped hard on the gas.

We walked into the surprisingly partially empty mall, with Rita a few steps ahead of me. See, everything Rita does gets everyone staring, everything she wears is incredibly bright, and everything she says is impossibly loud! In other words, she's the eye of the hurricane. If you see a bunch of people gathered up around someone that someone is ought to be my sister. And well, honestly, I hate the attention.

"Excusi moi, pleaze no drinks allowed here" A French retailer stopped us from going into Forever 21.

"What? Do I look like some kind of 6 year old that can't drink by the book to you?" Rita snapped

I studied the clerk's face, and by the looks of it that's exactly what she thought.

"Actually-"she tried to say before I cut in.

"Don't answer that."

"Mademoiselle. Pleaze" She insisted.

"You did NOT just call me 'mademoiselle'! Guess what, honey! You just lost yourself a customer!" Rita barked crushing her coke into the second dimension. She stormed off murmuring something about croissants and Eskimos.

"Rita! Relax! She didn't call you any names! You should seriously start taking French classes" I cried out suppressing a laugh once I caught up to her. "Lets just check out H&M and forget about all this, alright?"

"Yeah, whatever... It's not like she got to me or anything. Nothing bothers me right?"

"Right..." I'm not a proud liar but when you got to do it, you got to do it.

Once we were almost at H&M, she stopped dead in her tracks and started tugging at my hoodie.

"What are you doing!" I grumbled, then noticed she had been pointing at some weird guy dressed in FAR too much leather in the food court,

"OH MY GOSH! That's him! That is definitely my future husband!" She screamed loud enough for everyone to hear

"Shh! He'll hear you!" I pushed the palm of my hand against her mouth while trying to get a better view over Rita's wrestling. "Rita..." I paused for a second trying to process how she'd possibly think this way, "Are you serious...?"

"Hell yeah!" She pushed me aside and 'cat walked' towards the dude's table with me a few steps behind. Suddenly she stopped, turned 180 degrees around and told me right in front of her dream-husband,

"Leah..." She looked at me with a 'get outta here' face "Why don't you fetch yourself a drink or something? I'll catch you later!" She told me with a wink, pulling a chair and taking a seat at his table. I reluctantly stepped away and thought maybe I should get myself a drink... A smoothie maybe...

I ambled to a remote booth at the far edge of the food court,

"Ahem-Ahem" I cleared my throat hoping to grab the guy's attention who apparently was working on some kind of homework.

"Hey umm...." I looked over at their table, I hated how comfortable she was about all this, and I couldn't even grab a vendor's attention and order a smoothie properly

'Curse you Rita; I am so going to murder you tonight.'  I thought to myself

"Who's Rita?" He said suddenly looking up at me.

 "Only the most insensible sister ever...! You got something to drink here and is that homework?" I said trying to contain myself and not blow my top right here and gosh am I patient... Only seconds later did it hit me...? I had never said anything about Rita!

"Mhm. The menu's up there and yeah it is." He pointed at the menu below the Mucho Shakes sign and continued working on what looked like an English persuasive essay. 'Eugh, I hate those!' I thought. He stopped, and looked up at me once again, "Excuse me?" He asked confused. I looked at him for a few seconds and realized what he meant. "Oh.. I'll have a.. Berry Blitz ..."

"A'right, hold up." He turned around and skillfully attended to my smoothie, leaving me all the time I need to think...

'Look at her for god's sake. I'd spot a laugh like that any day! She's faking it... I'd give her around 13 minutes before she bails. Who puts on shades indoors anyway...?!'

"Why would you care...? Here's your smoothie" He told me, handing me a brilliant purple colored drink with tons of whipped cream on top. I took it, paid and turned around to walk out but then it hit me again...

This was just plain freaky... I almost forgot I ever had this ability... The last time I've ever done this was with Gran... That was the different language I had used with her. We spoke into each other's minds.

 I turned back around and stared at him, he was busy cleaning so he never noticed.

'Hey, you! My smoothie sucks!' I thought to myself not expecting him to look up, but he did, and that was when I first noticed how strange he was. He lifted an eyebrow and brought it near his messy brown hair. His eyes were a bright yellow, almost serpent-like. He looked as though he hadn't laughed for a decade, and looking at him just depressed me; it got me feeling guilty for no apparent reason. I felt sympathetic.

"That's too bad, we don't do refunds or exchanges here" He coldly replied, tossing clumps of tissues, and my pity, into the bin.

'Nah, it's tasty, I wasn't serious' I thought to myself again fingers crossed, biting my lower lip.

"You're not- ...talking?"  He exclaimed bewildered, his pupils growing and, I must've been hallucinating but I'm pretty sure I slowly saw his eyes changing into an emerald green. He looked around as though he lost something. "There's got to be someone else around here." He stared straight into me, straight into my soul.

'No, it's me. It's my voice that's in your head.'

"Holy mother of -!" he shrieked, hastily stepping back. "What are you?!"

I slowly stepped back, and tried to keep my mind clear of all the things I could be.

"Wait. Answer my question!" He demanded.

Just as I was about to make a run for it, all kinds of things came in my way. Chairs and tables seemed to pop out of nowhere; tripping me over with every step I took. Smoothie cups literally threw themselves on my legs and face as though they didn't want me to leave. His voice kept on ringing in my ears, though I wasn't aware of what he was saying. I barged out of the mall and made my way back home at full speed, completely forgetting about Rita. All I needed right now was the security of my room.