Chapter 9

When Michael wakes up from his nap, he hears hushed whispers down the hall. His eyebrows furrow and he fiddles with his fingers after sitting up, straining to make out the voices. He recognizes Luke's first, tone assertive and calm and Sasha's soon after, words traced with confusion. "Why is Michael sleeping here?" She asked, jealousy evident in her voice, causing Michael to cringe.

"I let him crash here. He's had a rough day," Luke murmurs, pity lacing his words.

"What could've happened that gives him the right to sleep in our bed?"

"My bed," Luke snaps. "Last time I checked, you've got your own place,"

A small whimper leaves Michael's lips and the sting of oncoming tears prick in his beautiful eyes. He pulls back the covers from around his waist and slowly opens the blonde's bedroom door, staring down at his feet. "I can go if you want me to. I-I'm sorry if I upset you, Sasha," He whispers and Luke sighs, shaking his head and scoops Michael's chin in his hands gently, the action causing the smaller boy to flinch from his touch.

A gasp falls from Sasha's lips once she sees the bruises painting his face, the sound bouncing off the walls and the tears he had been fighting back now fall down his cheeks. Michael grits his teeth to bite back choked sobs and Sasha nears closer, murmuring, "Oh Michael, I'm so sorry,"

She picks up the defenseless boy's arm, stroking the fingerprint bruises and Michael backs away from both of them, now trapped in a corner and rests his head in his hands. "P-Please don't touch me. I can't-- I can't do this. I'm so sorry, Luke. I t-told you I'd be a bother. I don't want to upset either of you so I'll go to Ashton's. Get my stuff from Shawn's or something," His voice is barely over a whisper and he's visibly shaking, unsure what to do with himself.

He tries moving past the both of them, sniffles loud as he does so. "Michael, please, sweetheart, don't go," Luke murmurs, beating him to the door and pulling him into a hug. The musky smell of his cologne is comforting and Michael finds himself nestled into the fabric, tears soaking the soft cotton.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Just please don't hit me. Please, Luke. I'll do whatever you want. I j-just--"

Luke kisses the top of the ashy blonde's head, swaying the two of them slightly and murmurs, "I'll never hurt you, darling," Michael finds himself nodding, melting into his friend's embrace and murmurs an "okay," under his breath. "Do you want ice for your bruises?" He asks and Michael nods, frowning once Luke brings his arms back to his sides.

The blonde guides Michael to his couch, the boy curling in on himself upon sinking into the cushion and offers him a small smile before heading to the kitchen. The broken boy feels the couch dip beside him and he looks up only to meet Sasha's gaze. "I don't want your pity," He whispers. "I got myself into this mess. It's my fault and nobody else's,"

The petite girl beside him frowns and shakes her head, placing her hand over Michael's. "This isn't your fault," She replies.

Michael's eyes flame with anger and he snatches his hand away, running it through his hair. "You don't know anything," He hisses through gritted teeth. "I egged Shawn on all the time. I didn't do what he wanted and never listened so I had to pay for it. You wouldn't fucking understand. I would kill for a relationship like the one you have with Luke. I've dealt with Shawn's bullshit for so long his hits became routine. I expected them. I'm used to it. So I don't want your sympathy. I don't want anything from you because you just don't understand," His words are sharp and venomous, surprising the both of them and Luke walks back into the room before Sasha could reply.

When he sees Sasha's shocked expression, he asks, "What happened?" and both of them shake their heads, not wanting to fill the clueless blonde in. Michael takes the bagged ice from him once Luke had sat down at his side and holds it to his face, wincing. "Just hold that on there for a while, Mikey. It'll feel better soon,"