Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty: 

After Casey finally realized that arguing with me is useless, she left in a huff. 

“I’m going to see Darren!” she said.

I watch her for a minute as she brushes her hair and clip it back with a barrette. “You do know Darren’s at school, right?”

I sat on her bed as she looks at me through the mirror. 

“I know that! I’m going to visit him” she said as she inspected her teeth. She takes a step back, checking out her outfit. She cocks her head to the side then shook her head. “This outfit is too bland, what do you think?” 

She looks at me through the mirror. “Well?”

I shrugged. “You look fine to me.”

I watch as her eye trailed up and down her body. “Maybe I need to wear less…” she trail off unsurely.

I roll my eyes. “Casey, your going to a school, not a stripper club. I doubt Darren cares what you wear or he would have dump you on your first date.”

Casey spun around. “You said I look fantastic! You liar!”

I held up a finger, silencing her. “I said you look fantastic enough for Darren. I didn’t say you look fantastic or I would’ve swallowed my own tongue.”

Casey glared at me. “You’re so mean.”

I lay back down, staring at the ceiling. “Did you barely notice that or what?”

She didn’t answer me right away. Instead she continues spinning around, looking at herself in different angels.

“Hey,” I began, choosing my words carefully. “When are you going to sleep with Darren?” I ask. Okay, that wasn’t exactly subtle or carefully but I try my best. I could’ve said sex instead of sleep with. I think I approve my choice of words. I felt a sense of pride in myself. 

“Why the sudden question?” Casey asks.

“I don’t know, I was just staring at the ceiling and it remind me of you being a virgin” I said. 

Casey looks up. “The ceiling’s white.”

A flash of Kale’s face went through my mind, making me jump up and my heart skip a beat. I heard this feeling before but I thought that girls’ were just making it up. I touch my heart. Holy cow, my heart skips a beat. I didn’t know it was actually possible.  I didn’t say anything as Casey babbled away.

“Uh, I’m go take a nap” I said, standing up. I look at Casey, seeing her concern and suspicious face. “Tell Darren I said hi.”

She nods, smiling before staring at her mouth in the mirror. She started flashing different types of smiles at the mirror, most likely trying to choose the perfect smile to greet Darren with.

I slowly trudge to my room, letting the sound of my bare feet tap against the floor. It echoes everywhere. My mind clouded with the Kale’s face and the heart skips a beat ordeal. 

I really didn’t think it was possible, I mean sometimes there’s a thing called exaggeration but this is a shocker. Very much so that I need to sleep it away, literally. Maybe I should be a star in some Sleeping Beauty play. 

I let my pillow engulf my head. It’s quiet, I thought.  I close my eyes and Kale’s face holding an apple came into my mind.

My stomach rumbled as I open my eyes. I left the room, seeking food. An apple came to mind that I headed downstairs.