Chapter Sixteen

“I—I” I fumbled as I try to form sentence but the sight in front of me must be too shocking. I gaped at them, my eyes wide and my body turns cold.

                “This is what you’re afraid, right?”

                I blink as I stare at Casey, who spoke but it wasn’t in her voice. It was someone else voice. Casey moved away from Kale as he stood there, motionless. He had this dazed look in his eyes.

                “Macy, I’m talking to you” Casey sang, as she smiled, sadistically. Her eyes trail along the room before settling on me. “Something wrong?”

                I found my voice but it wasn’t strong, it was weak. “What?”

                She takes another step forward then another and soon, she’s standing in front of me. Her clothes change somewhere along the steps to a white flowing dress, similar to the one I’m wearing except hers resemble a nightgown and mine was a sundress.

                She lifts both of her hands, covering her face. “Let’s play a game.” She giggles as she moves closer to me and I couldn’t step back. It was like a horror movie, where you know what’s going to happen but can’t do anything about it.

                I stand there with Casey only five inches from my face, with her hand between us. “1…2…3! Peek-a-boo!” she shouts as she removes her hands, revealing what I fear; Me. She is me.

                The long brown hair, traces of blue in it and the brown eyes that remind me of dirt.

                I flinched, as I moved away from her. “This is a dream, you’re not real.”

                Dream Macy stares at, widening her eyes and looking hurt. “I’m shock, Macy.” Again, Dream Macy starts to advance to me and with each step she takes, I walk back. I back myself into a wall and Dream Macy smiles.

                “Go away” I tell her, even though it was futile.

                “Why? I’m you, I’m Macy, and we’re both the same” she said, sounding reasonable.

                I wanted to shake my head but I was afraid if I do, she’ll move much closer to me. “No, you’re not.”

                “Oh but I am, Macy. I am” she purrs that last bit. “And I know myself and you better than anyone else.” She turns around and the whole living room starts to blur and soon, we’re at the school. In the nurse’s office.

                Dream Macy gestures to me, sleeping which is highly unlikely. There can’t be three Macy’s, can there? Unless, I’m dreaming of a clone machine. I’m wearing the sundress that I have on now, so this dream is up to date but Dream Macy walks over to the white curtain that puts a wall between the two beds.

                Dream Macy lifts her finger to her mouth, silently saying, Shhh…before smiling. She reaches for the curtain and pulls it open, slowly.

                Casey sat there, on the bed, smiling nervously. She keeps looking up, waiting for something or someone. As if on cue, someone comes in, closing the nurse door behind them. Casey looks up, smiling.

                Again, Kale comes in, a smile on his face and once more they go at it. I look Dream Macy, who watches with an amused smile.

                “Don’t they make a cute couple?” she asks.

                “No” I answer, the word leaving my mouth before I could stop it. It was clipped and cold. Dream Macy looks at me.