Chapter Three: School problems

The metallic sound of my alarm woke me, and I rolled over to turn it off. 8:00am, it read, as the thoughts from last night flooded back to me.

I cringed. Why the hell did I do it with Kit?! I'd only just met him, for god's sake. I sat up and rubbed my forehead, before wiping the sleep out of my eyes. Kit was nowhere to be seen, but the sound of clattering came from the living room.

"What the.." I threw off the covers and slipped out of bed, while pulling up my pants, blushing crimson. The clattering sound got louder as I stepped into the main part of the apartment, confusion ripping through me at the tidiness of it all.

"Good morning", Kit purred from the other side of the room, sitting on the edge of the counter, wearing only one of my hoodies, which was far too big for him. He waved a piece of bread in his hand, gesturing to the rest of the room.

"I cleaned it up for you", He said his tail twirling happily behind him.

"I can see that", I mumbled, heading over to the sofa, and sitting down. A plate of buttered toast was on the coffee table in front of me, the delicious smell wafting off of it. I looked at the cat eared boy quizzically.

"For me?" He nodded and jumped down of the counter, coming to settle down beside me.

"You have to leave me today don't you.." He whimpered sadly, as he referred to the day of school I had to face.

"Um, yeah, I do", Guilt washed over me as I looked down at him, noticing the sadness deep in his eyes. I couldn't take him with me of course, in cat or human-ish form. He would be way too noticeable. Leaving him here was my only option, besides, every owner left their pet at home for the day, surely it wouldn't be that different for Kit.

"It's not that bad", I started, "Owners leave their pets at home all the time". I bit my tongue as I saw hurt flash across his face, dammit, why couldn't I say anything right.. I watched Kit stand and go into the bathroom, closing the door behind him. I stood to follow him, maybe I was intending to reassure him, but then school brought me back to my senses.

My clothes were all ruffled from last night, not to mention stained. I padded into my room and changed into black jeans and a white t-shirt, before grabbing my bag and a piece of toast, and heading out the door.

----

My class greeted me with judgmental looks as I sat down at my desk. I knew why they were staring, I was probably the only person in my year group not to go to the party, and I'm sure Dan informed everyone of my feelings for him.

I shrunk back into my seat and crossed my arms, averting my gaze from anyone else. I felt something hit the back of my neck, and I reached back to find a note on my shoulder.

Faggot it read, in awful hand writing. I rolled my eyes and dropped the note on the floor, facing the front of the class and giving my full attention to the lesson.

An hour later the lunch bell rang, making me jump. My day dreaming had got the better of me half way through class, and I had completely forgotten to take notes on anything. Usually in this situation I would ask to borrow Dan's notes, but of course that was not an option anymore.

As I walked down the hall towards the lunch hall, the sound of girly squeals came from around the corner. I raised one eyebrow and jogged towards the noise, but stopped short when I saw the scene in front of me.

Two girls in the year below me, one with brown hair and the other with blonde, stood leaning on the window sill, their arms reaching out to stroke a familiar looking white cat.

"You've got to be kidding me.." I stalked over, glaring at them with my light blue eyes. They took the hint and backed off, gossiping to one an other as they shuffled away. I turned my gaze to the cat, who sat there scratching behind one ear, oh so casually.

"What the hell are you doing?" I hissed, looking around to make sure there was no one was witnessing my strange behaviour. Kit, of course, said nothing, although he did stop scratching and gave me a guilty look. I shook my head and sighed, leaning against the wall. "Are you trying to get me in trouble, Kit?" 

I felt him push against me, purring loudly, as if he was trying to apologize, but I turned away. "I want you to go home right now, i'm having a bad day as it is, I don't need you here at the moment". The purring stopped instantly, and a crash of leaves came from outside as the cat bolted home.

I admit, I did feel bad for treating him so harshly, but, I don't know, I just didn't feel comfortable around him yet, after all the things we did.. I slid down the wall and sat on the floor, my head in my hands.

I didn't hear the sound of feet approaching me, and by the time I did, it was too late. I looked up to see the disgusted face of Dan looming over me, a sneer playing on his lips.

"Don't tell me you're crying", He jeered, making the group of girls behind him cackle with laughter. "I don't know how I didn't notice you were gay, you behave girly enough, it was pretty obvious". The words stabbed at me like knives, as I stood up, preparing to walk away. I didn't like this side of Dan, even though he had said he wouldn't mind if I was gay, I knew he was putting on a display for his followers.

The jeers faded behind me as I wandered off towards the lunch hall, one hand raking through my hair. This was only the beginning, no doubt the insults would get worse as the day wore on.