Chapter Twenty-Five - The Glamour and The Shadows

Start from the beginning

Two reptilian hunters sped away. Powerful legs swiftly carried them in an ever-widening circle around the group. Suddenly one skidded to a halt. It raised its snout and snuffed the air. A series of grunts and coughing barks echoed through the trees.

'They have picked up a scent,' Orin Cerne said softly. 'And it is a recent one.'

Mallt Rhakan smiled. 'Is it the Gnome and his companions?' she asked.

Orin Cerne cupped his hands to his mouth and gave out a call, mimicking the sounds of the creatures.

There was a pause, then both creatures replied in unison.

Orin Cerne nodded. 'The Sha-Hotha are sure. We are on the right trail.'

Mallt smiled once more. At last some good news.

Back in the gorge, she had become distracted by the scavenger attack. The youngest human had taken them all by surprise. The child was able to cast light and flame. Mallt was unaware the girl was so powerful. The magic momentarily washed away the darkness, stripping away her ability to manipulate the shadows. It took her a while to regain control of the dark energy she used to weave her magic.

The magic of the amulet used by the Gnome left a faint trail when activated. She could use her own magic to follow. So, herself, Orin, Ixil Driz and the two Sha-Hotha transported to the last place the Gnome had used it.

'They appear to have gone ahead on foot rather than use the Amulet,' Orin said, speculatively.

'The Gnome is no fool, but no matter,' said Mallt. 'Now the creatures have their scent it will be easy to track them down.'

Danielle called to Holt, beckoning him over. She studied him as he walked towards her.

'What is it, girl?' he asked bluntly.

'I need your help,' she told him. 'I need to get George away from here.'

The Gnome shook his head. 'Why? We still have the quest to complete.'

'The quest!' she spat. 'The quest! We came here to take my brother home. It is too dangerous for him. Don't you remember?'

Holt looked momentarily puzzled as if fighting some internal strife. 'Yes, of course I remember. But we are all here now. I can see no reason not to help Malin complete what they have started.'

'He got to you, didn't he?' Danielle called out, glancing over at the fire where the Elf sat talking to Eldon.

'What are you on about girl? Who?' Holt asked quizzically.

'Malin,' she said forlornly. 'He's used his magic on you, hasn't he? Talked you into doing his bidding.'

Danielle desperately wanted to run. Get as far as possible from this place. She could not of course. With Holt and possibly Eldon now under Malin's control, she had no way of escaping with George.

'That is foolish talk, girl,' the Gnome laughed. 'Why would you think such a thing?'

'Because...' Danielle started to say but changed her mind seeing the futility of saying anything further. 'Never mind.'

It looked like she would have to go along with their plans for now. If she could just keep herself and Jessica from falling under the Elves influence, then at some point she might be able to break George free and make an escape. But without Holt and Eldon to help them, she was unsure how far they would get in this strange land, so far away from home.

Danielle made her way back to the camp and sat down next to Jessica. She was glad to see her sister had heeded her warning and kept the Elves at a distance.