F o r t y - e i g h t

Start from the beginning

"Sorry," I laugh, "but I have to make it tight."

"What are you even doing to my hair? I hope I'm not going to look ridiculous."

"Shush, you won't," I say just as I finish doing the braid on the left side of his head. I see Harry's hand reaching up to feel the braid, but I quickly slap it away. "Hey, it's going to be a surprise!" I laugh.

"Awww," he whimpers with defeat.

As I do the next braid, a new song plays from Harry's iPhone and my whole body perks up when I realize what song it is. Harry turns his head to look at me, both of us giving one another a knowing look with a smile on both of our faces.

"I've paid my dues, time after time." Harry sings. My breathing gets caught in my throat as I think back to when Harry sang me this song a while ago when I was feeling down one day in my flat. "I've done my sentence, but committed no crime."

"And bad mistakes, I've made a few, I've had my share of sand kicked in my face, but I've come through," I sing, wrapping my arms around Harry's shoulder, both of us swaying to the music. We belt out the chorus as loud as we can, probably a bit too loud, but I honestly couldn't care less right now because I am feeling all sorts of emotions inside. Happiness as I compare the differences from then and now. And just utterly overwhelmed because this song has so much meaning in our relationship.

"I love you," Harry says when the song finishes.

"And I love you," I kiss him on the lips, a smile on both of our faces.

I spend the next few minutes quickly finishing up Harry's hair. I put another braid on the right side of his head, and then in the middle, I put the remaining hair up in a bun. I lightly laugh as I look at my creation, thinking what an odd combination of braids and bun, but I did it because I had a hunch Harry would think it's cool—and I hope he does, otherwise that would just be embarrassing.

"Are you done? Can I look at it now?" Harry says so excitedly that it makes my heart clench.

"Mhmm," I giggle, watching him quickly get up from the bed. I follow him as he enters the washroom, his eyes widening wide as he turns his head side to side.

"Oh wow," he places his hands on the back of his head to feel his hair. "Is that a bun?" He looks at me. I don't know why but I grow a bit nervous since I can't quite figure out if he likes it.

"Yeah, do you want me to take a picture of the back so you can see?"

"Yes please!" I quickly go back to the bed to grab his phone before reentering the washroom. I pull up the camera and take a few shots in different angles from the back. I show them to Harry and watch as his eyes widen once more. "Do you like it?"

"Yeah! That's actually so sick." He looks back in the mirror. "I really like it. Thanks, Dais." He grins at me.

"No problem," I smile, relief washing over me. "Ready to go now?"

"Yup! But aww, we have to say buy to this room." I express an exaggerated frown as we walk back to the main room. Harry pulls out his camera and films a pan shot of the room. "Bye, Room, we will miss you." He waves, still filming the room. Then he points the camera at me, a frown still on my face as I look at Harry.

We grab our luggage and bags, doing one last tour around the room to make sure we have all of our belongings, before exiting the room. We make it to the lobby, handing in our luggage for them to watch over until we leave the resort. Once we pay the small fee, we head to the infinity pool.

"Are you ready?" I ask Harry, remembering that a pink speedo is under his jean shorts. He looks at me, a nervous smile on his face.

"Why did I do this to myself?" He shakes his head, an embarrassed smile on his face. I can't help but laugh a bit.