chapter ten

"Hey."

I almost dropped my bags at the sound of his voice. My head snapped to the direction his voice came from and I saw Akashi leaning against the wall wearing a white dress shirt, slacks, and black shoes underneath a light brown coat and gray scarf. His hands were inside the pockets of his coat.

"What are you doing here, Akashi?"

He pushed himself off the wall and approached me. "I knew you were leaving so I have to check if you're fine."

I tilted my head to the side in confusion. "Why?"

He shrugged, "I don't know."

I just nodded in response, even though I was so confused why Akashi was here to see me off. Aside from the two days we've been in each other's company, I've haven't seen him since then. It's not like we're friends.

He held out his hand, gesturing to the bag I was carrying. I hesistantly passed the bag to him. An uncomfortable silence passed with me just staring at him in bewilderment. He seemed unbothered by my attention so I just brushed off any reason Akashi was here.

"Is Dani fine?" He shrugged. "You know you were right. I was heartbroken that day. She changed so much." my voice quivered, remembering the day I spoke to Dani.

"It seemed to me that you were oblivious to who she really was from the start." he replied, glancing at me thru his peripheral vision.

I frowned at him. "We've grown together since childhood. There wouldn't be anyone else that does know her more than me."

He remained passive but turned to face me. "People change all the time. Be it disappointment, failure, a person, a heartbreak, a traumatic event; anything can change a person at any moment."

"Why are you–"

"Danielle had so many insecurities. Did you know that?" he asked and I slowly shook my head. I never thought she had insecurities. Danielle is smart and classy. Everyone at school always knew she would go to places and achieve so many things. "She was wrapped in the thought of not asking for the best because she never thought she was worth it. She realized that being your friend was something she had to let go of because it didn't help or encourage her to be her own person–"

I covered his mouth with my hand. Akashi stopped moving his mouth so I pulled my hand back again. "Please, don't say anything anymore. I want to hear it from Dani."

He nodded in response. "I shouldn't have said that. I was tactless."

"No, it's fine. I had a glimpse of what caused it and made me realize my shortcomings in our friendship. It's not a lot but I still want to fix it."

His eyes slightly widened in surprise before he masked it off with a passive one. "Why?" he asked, sounding genuinely curious. "I never thought you would still want to fix it considering she made you cry."

I grimaced at the memory of crying in front of Akashi. One of my most embarassing moments. I cried while looking talking to air because Gabriel vanished into thin air while I was ranting. Typical. "I still want to try. She's the only one who can tolerate my personality." I joked with a smile to stop the tear from dropping.

He must've noticed it but didn't comment on it. I was immediately grateful when he turned away so I could wipe the tear away. "It would make sense since you've been friends for a long time. I wouldn't if it were me."

"If they never impacted your life in any way or left a mark in your past, I guess it would be fine to let that part of the story go but if the person you're going to let go is someone who inspired you and encouraged you then it will be your loss, Akashi."