Chapter 2 : Weird punishments

Chapter 2

The next day...

Riker POV

"Get up!"

I heard what sounded like pots and pans crashing together. The covers were pulled off of me, and ice cold water was thrown on top of me. I screamed, and fell out of bed, banging my elbow on the nightstand.

Ell fell off his bed too, landing on top of me. We both looked up to see Mr.Mark standing over us.

"I want you dressed and doing chores in 10 minutes," he said, leaving.

We both groaned. This is awful...

I didn't even care that Ell was in the room with me. I changed out of my soaked pjs, and put on some dry clothes. I put on jeans and a sweatshirt because now I'm cold!

Ell changed too, and then we went downstairs. I don't know about Ell, but I'm so hungry! We weren't given dinner last night!

"Can we please have breakfast?" I asked, quietly, sitting down in the kitchen.

"That depends..." Mr.Mark said, leaving the room.

When he came back, he walked over to me, grabbed my arm, and pulled me off the chair. I almost fell down.

"Ellington made his bed, so he can have breakfast. You did not, so you may not have breakfast, and you can spend 30 minutes in the closet."

He dragged me over to the closet in the living room. He shoved me in, and I fell down. He shut the door, and I was in pitch blackness. I found the doorknob, and tried to open it, but it was locked. I'm in a freaking closet...

I sighed, trying not to think about all the scary things that might be in here with me. Monsters, ghosts, spiders, and who knows what else.

Ellington POV

I just watched my best friend get locked in a closet... What even is this place!? It's not a home!

Mr.Mark went into the fridge, and gave me a bowl of fruit. I ate the whole thing quickly. I was really hungry.

"Please let me out! I'm sorry!"

I heard Riker crying in the closet. He's really sensitive and scared, so being here is really hard for him.

"No! And if you make any more noise, I'm adding 30 more minutes to your time!" Mr.Mark shouted.

I decided to start on our chores. I feel so bad for Riker. I mean, when I got punished yesterday, yeah it scared me a little, but Riker gets really scared about things. He starts to think too much about them, and he gets himself all paranoid.

Later...

Riker POV

Finally the door was opened, and I ran out. I could finally see again! I ran upstairs to our bedroom, and cried more.

"Hey. You ok?" Ell asked, coming into the room.

"I was scared..."

"Yeah, I know you were."

"I hate the dark!"

"I know, Riker. It's going to be ok, though."

"He locks us in closets! This isn't ok! This is like cruel and unusual punishment! That's like against the law or something!"

"Riker, it's not really that bad. I mean, I could think of a lot worse things."

"Like what!?"

"I don't know. But it's like a time out. We're stuck in a spot for a certain amount of time, and we can't do anything until it's over. It's not that bad."

"Are you kidding!? It's awful! We're stuck in an unfamiliar place in the dark! It's horrible!"

"Well... I don't know what to say then... How about you help me with the chores? I already did the dishes and a few other things."

"Ok... But I'm really hungry!"

"Well then I'd suggest maybe making your bed so when it's lunchtime, he'll give you lunch."

"Ok..."

I made my bed, and then went to go help Ell with the chores.

Later...

Riker POV

I'd gotten lunch, and was finally feeling a little better. I was still scared out of my mind though. I'd gotten yelled at for a few minor things, and Mr.Mark was really scary.

Apparently we could only take showers if we had done all our chores, and we hadn't, so we were forbidden from showering. I felt gross from being in the closet earlier. I felt like I had dust and dirt all over myself.

He gave us too many chores though! It was like impossible to finish them!

By the time we actually finished, it was time for bed, and I couldn't shower.

I changed into new pjs, and got in bed, feeling really nervous. I was out of pills, and I was worried about feeling weird the next day because I didn't take anything. I guess we'll just have to see...

However, falling asleep wasn't a problem since I was exhausted from being on my feet all day doing chores.

Middle of the night...

Ellington POV

I woke up, hearing the familiar sounds of Riker having a nightmare. He was still asleep, moving around uncomfortably, whimpering.

I quickly got out of bed, and went over to him. I shook him, hoping he wouldn't scream. I need to keep him quiet or else Mr.Mark will punish us for making noise.

"Rik, come on. Wake up!" I whispered, shaking him more.

He suddenly sat straight up.

"Riker, you're ok. Just don't scream," I whispered.

He started to cry.

"Rik, come on. Don't do that! We don't want Mr.Mark to punish us!"

He cried harder.

"Riker, come on, please stop crying!"

I pulled him to me in a tight hug, and he calmed down a little, hugging me tight also.

"I-I killed m-my p-parents..." Riker whispered.

"Riker, no, you didn't. Stop thinking that."

"It's all my fault!"

"Riker... You haven't had a nightmare in weeks. What's up with you?"

"N-no p-pills."

"What?"

"I ran out..."

"Wait. You were taking them!? Riker, I told you not to!"

"I know, but they helped me sleep, and they kept the nightmares away."

"Riker..."

"I'm sorry! Please don't hate me!"

"Don't start crying again! I don't hate you!"

"I need more pills."

"Riker, you'll be fine without them."

"I'm not fine! I'm sweating, I'm shaking, and I'm scared!"

"Riker, calm down."

"Please stay with me."

"Ok."

He laid down, and I laid down next to him.

"Please don't leave. I'm so scared being here."

"I won't. I promise."

Riker moved around a lot, until he finally found a position he liked. He was practically curled into my side, hiding under the covers. I didn't blame him though. He's been through a lot lately.

Within a few minutes, I heard soft snores coming from the lump next to me. I sighed, and let myself fall asleep.