Carrie Anne

Art walked over to James and Candice. All the other students left, and James and Candice were talking about this and that.
"James are you ready to go home?" Art asked without really thinking about what he was saying.
James looked up at Art. His brow furrowed slightly. "Home?"
Art realised what he said and frowned. "Oh, I mean my house," He said trying to correct his mistake.
James smiled at Art and stood up. "Yeah," He said. "See ya tomorrow Candice."
Candice left the room with Art and James. Art locked the classroom behind him, and Candice went to her locker to put up her books. Art and James walked to Art's car.
"So, you and Candice are friends then?" Art asked as he opened the door of his car.
James shrugged. "Yeah, I guess so..." He said thoughtfully.
"She's a good kid," Art said as he started his car.
James buckled as Art drove off to his house. Art and James walked inside, and James went to the room he'd been staying in to do some homework. Linda took Art's hand and sat down with him.
"Do you want to ask him now?" She asked nervously.
Art smiled and shook his head. "I think we should wait until after dinner," He said.
Linda smiled and began to play with the collar of his suit. She edged closer to him and leaned her head on his shoulder and looked up at him.
"I'm really excited," She said.
Art smiled and ran his fingers through her hair. "I am too," He said kissing her nose.
A few hours passed. James finished him homework and watched TV with Art until dinner was ready. They all got around the table for dinner. Art and Linda kept glancing at each other while James ate. They were waiting for him to finish his food.
James noticed that Linda and Art were systematically looking at each other. He set down his fork and looked between them. "What's up?" He asked.
Art looked at Linda again. "You wanna ask him now?"
Linda nodded and looked into James's eyes. "You've been staying with us a lot lately," she said, "so me and Art were wondering..."
"I don't have to stay if you don't want me to. If you guys need your space I can stay with someone else," James blurted out nervously looking back and forth between them.
Art laughed. "No, that's not it at all," He said. "Linda and I were wondering if you'd like to stay here permanently."
"I don't understand..." James said slowly. He glanced back and forth between the two adults.
Linda smiled at him. "We want to adopt you," She said.
James's mouth opened. He looked at them again. His eyes were wide. "Do you mean it?" He asked shocked.
"Yeah, but only if you want us to be your parents," Art replied.
James stared at Art. He opened and closed his mouth. He needed to think. Everything was happening so fast. He didn't know what to say.
"Can I have some time to think?" James asked nervously.
Art and Linda glanced at each other. "Yeah, you can have as much time as you need," Art said slowly.
James nodded and started picking at the food on his plate. He no longer had an appetite so he pushed his plate forward and excused himself from the table. He went to his temporary room and laid down on his bed. The room was completely silent.
"Fuck..." James mumbled hiding his head under the sheets.
His mind wandered to his mother. He got out of his bed and walked out of the room. Art and Linda were in the kitchen. Linda was doing the dishes, and Art was reading a book at the kitchen table. James walked past them and walked out the door. Linda looked to the door as it shut behind James.
"Did James just walk out?" She asked worried.
Art looked up at Linda and shook his head slowly. "Let's give him some space," He said.
Linda frowned and stopped doing the dishes. "What if he gets hurt? Or lost?" She asked.
"He's not a little kid Linda," Art said smiling slightly at his wife's worry.
Linda put her hands on her hips and frowned. "You aren't taking this very seriously," She said.
"I trust James. He'll be fine," Art said.

James found himself standing in front of his mother's grave. The night air was cold against his skin. He shivered.
"Mom..." He said sitting down at the grave staring at the dead flowers laying there.
The night was silent save for some crickets chirping softly.
"Mom, am I stupid? I don't know what to do."
Silence.
"I guess I don't know if I'm ready for a family. Is that wrong? Should I be thrilled?"
More silence.
"I came here to clear my head, but it doesn't seem like it's helping any. I'm more confused than ever," James said running his fingers through his hair.
"It usually helps to have someone to talk to."
James turned his head and saw Amanda walking towards him. She was wearing sweatpants and a white t-shirt. For a moment James forgot all the problems he had with Amanda.
"What're you doing here?" He asked.
"I was close to your mom..." Amanda said quietly. "She was closer to me than my real mother."
James looked back at his mother's grave. He couldn't find any words to say.
"So what's got you bugged?" Amanda asked sitting down beside James.
James sighed and avoided looking at Amanda. "Mr. Garfunkel and his wife offered to adopt me so that I don't have to move back with my dad..."
"Shit..." Amanda mumbled.
"I don't know what to do..." James said.
"James, you've been staying with them anyway. Mr. Garfunkel really cares about you. Plus your dad is the scum of the earth," Amanda said. "All of this is up to you, but I know what I'd do."
James stared at her for a few moments. He stood up and brushed himself off. "Thanks Amanda," He said walking off.
Amanda watched him leave. "No problem," She mumbled to herself. She touched her stomach gently then shuddered and hurried home.

(The chapter title is a song by the Hollies.)