Kodachrome

Linda walked into the room James was sleeping in. She sat down on the bed and shook his shoulder softly. "It's time to get up, James," She said.
"Five more minutes, mom."
Linda teared up and left the room. Art caught her in the hallway. "What's wrong?" He asked.
Linda wiped her eyes. "James..." She tried to complete what she was saying, but she couldn't.
Art touched her cheek and walked into the room James was sleeping in. "Come on, you've got to wake up," Art said shaking James's shoulder.
James eyes opened slowly, and he rubbed his eyes. "Good morning Mr. Garfunkel," He said.
"What do you want for breakfast?" Art asked.
"Anything's fine," James said still rubbing his eyes.
James rolled out of bed and stretched. He wandered to the bathroom. Art walked into the kitchen where Linda was making breakfast. The smell of pancakes filled the house.
"Is he hungry?" Linda asked as Art entered the room.
Art smiled at her. "I think so," He said.
Linda smiled and flipped a pancake. James wandered into the kitchen. He was dressed in a pair of blue jeans and a white t-shirt. It looked like he was a better mood than the day before. Linda finished making a large plate of pancakes. She handed a plate to Art and set another down in front of James.
"Eat as much as you want," Linda said.

A few minutes later James and Art got in Art's and drove to the school. James didn't say much. He found Amanda and sat with her for a few minutes once at school.
"Are you feeling okay?" Amanda asked him.
James shrugged. "No. Not really," He said.
"You wanna smoke?" She asked.
"No, you got anything stronger?" James asked perking up.
Amanda tilted her head and thought for a moment. "No, but I know where to get something," She said.
James leaned his head on her shoulder. "You're the only person who's always there for me," He said.
Amanda smiled and stroked his hair. "Got to watch out for my best friend," She said.
"Can I spend the night at your house tonight?" James asked.
"Yeah, dad wouldn't say no to you," Amanda replied.

"Just one more! Come on, you're beautiful, don't be shy!" Chris said snapping a photo of Candice trying to cover the lense.
Candice started laughing and as she turned her head away from Chris, and he got a photo of her smile. He waved the two color photographs at her and smiled. "You're gorgeous!" He said kissing her on the cheek.
Candice blushed. "What're you talking about?" She said. "I'm plain."
Chris smiled and kissed her. "I think you're magnificent," He said as he rubbed his nose against hers.
Audrey grabbed the camera that Chris was holding she took a picture of Chris and Candice kissing. Chris smiled and grabbed the photo from Audrey.
"Don't we make such a beautiful couple, Candice?" Chris asked.
Candice smiled. "I see one attractive person in the picture," She said taking it from his hand.
"Yeah, just Candice," Audrey said taking the photo from Candice's hand.
Chris smiled and kissed Candice again just as the bell rang ending lunch. Chris helped Candice back up off the grass and tapped her nose. "See you in history," He said.
Candice smiled. "See ya then," She said.
Audrey linked arms with Candice, and they walked to their English class. They whispered together until they walked into English. The classroom was silent, and they weren't going to be the ones to break the silence.
There was a substitute sitting at Mrs. Robinson's desk. Mr. Phillips was scrawled on the chalkboard. A group of girls tested the waters and began to whisper among themselves. A group of boys came into the room shouting and throwing around things. Mr. Phillips wasted no time in shushing them. The boys took their seats staring at the man trying to figure him out. How far could they push this substitute before he broke?

James walked into Geometry class. He walked to his regular seat, but another young man was sitting in his seat. "Um... that's my seat," James said quietly.
The young man looked up. "Who're you?" He asked rolling his eyes.
"My name's James, and that's the seat I sit at."
"You weren't sitting here yesterday," The boy said rolling his eyes again.
"I was at my mother's funeral. Who the hell are you?" James asked as Amanda walked by and took her seat.
"Hey, get up Roy. That's his seat," Amanda said.
Roy stood up. He leaned towards Amanda. "Only because you asked me so nicely," He whispered in her ear.
Roy walked off. James sat down. "Who the fuck was that?" James asked.
"New kid," Amanda replied.
James looked over his shoulder at Roy as he looked for another seat. "I don't like him," James mumbled.
The bell rang and class started. Art stood up and called roll.
"Roy Abbott."
"Here."
Roy was an athletic type boy with straw colored hair. He had nice features and was the talk among the girls. The question was if he was single, and he was that. He had already been taken in by the jocks of the school as he was going to start playing basketball as soon as the season started.
James hadn't even had a whole conversation with Roy, but he already resented him. Why of all the seats in the room did he choose to sit by Amanda? She already knew him well enough to tell him to move like it was no big deal. Maybe James was being paranoid. He knew Amanda since grade school. No one could come between them, right?

(The chapter title is a song by Paul Simon. Probably not going to update tomorrow because I'm preparing for something pretty big. In the meantime here's a beautiful gif of Simon & Garfunkel falling down.

 In the meantime here's a beautiful gif of Simon & Garfunkel falling down

)