Appendix of Terms

Sacrilegious: Involving or committing sacrilege. "a sacrilegious act"

Latin: the language of ancient Rome and its empire, widely used historically as a language of scholarship and administration.

Vernacular: the language or dialect spoken by the ordinary people in a particular country or region.

 USCCB: The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) is an assembly of the hierarchy of the United States and the U.S. Virgin Islands who jointly exercise certain pastoral functions on behalf of the Christian faithful of the United States. The purpose of the Conference is to promote the greater good which the Church offers humankind, especially through forms and programs of the apostolate fittingly adapted to the circumstances of time and place. 

Clericalism: is the application of the formal, church-based, leadership or opinion of ordained clergy in matters of either the church or broader political and sociocultural import.

Priesthood: The theology of the Catholic priesthood is rooted in the priesthood of Christ and to some degree shares elements of the ancient Hebraic priesthood as well.A priest is one who presides over a sacrifice and offers that sacrifice and prayers to God on behalf of believers.

Bishop: English derivation from the New Testament of the Christian Bible Greek ἐπίσκοπος, epískopos, "overseer", "guardian" is an ordained or consecrated member of the Christian clergy who is generally entrusted with a position of authority and oversight.

Deacon: A deacon is an ordained minister of the Catholic Church. There are three groups,or "orders," of ordained ministers in the Church: bishops, presbyters and deacons. Deacons are ordained as a sacramental sign to the Church and to the world of Christ,who came "to serve and not to be served." Permanent Deacons are married however cannot become priest.

Transitional Deacon: In the Roman Catholic Church, a transitional deacon is a celibate man who has been ordained a deacon and who intends to become a priest

Transitional Deacon: In the Roman Catholic Church, a transitional deacon is a celibate man who has been ordained a deacon and who intends to become a priest. Transitional deacons are usually ordained to the diaconate after they complete their third year at the theological seminary.