Chapter 12: Legacy

Hey guys! Long time no see! Seriously, I feel really bad about it.

"Three weeks... and not even a goodbye before you left."

You laughed innocently and rubbed the back of your head. Standing at the doorway, Connor and you had just arrived back at the homestead, from Martha's Vineyard. Achilles was attempting to scold you and Connor both for leaving so abruptly, but evidently, seemed a little relieved at your arrival. Well, you were relieved too- you very much preferred being on land.

You gave a soft smile as Connor said, "Sorry..." Achilles turned his back and began to slowly walk off with his cane as you gazed at Connor, who had shrugged. 

"Well? What are you waiting for?" Achilles turned back around, with an impatient look on his face. He then continued to walk in the direction he was heading- the basement. You exchanged one last look with Connor, who began to follow Achilles. You sighed mildly, closing the front door, and caught up with the two. 

Your eyes locked onto Haytham Kenway, as you passed by the portraits of the important Templars in the colonies. Your expression was vacuous, or lost in thought, as you thought about what may happen if the father and son were to meet. You shook your head, wandering past the portraits as you watched Connor gaze at the Assassin's Robes, once again. He rested his hand on it, admiring the garment.

"Put them on." Achilles motioned. Connor looked at Achilles, as if even he was unsure whether he had the potential, nor capabilities, of bearing the right of being an Assassin. You nodded when he turned towards you, knowing that he was perfectly apt. In response, he had shown a grateful smile. 

While Connor went to change, you had cleared your throat, loudly enough for Achilles to hear. He had reluctantly turned his head towards you with a  expression as he rolled his eyes, preparing for whatever it was you had to complain about.

"What?" He sighed.

"I did not say nary a thing." You arrogantly said, crossing your arms. 

"Is this about your bla-"

"What makes you think that?" You whimpered, averting your gaze elsewhere.

"The fact that you had cut me off before I had gotten the chance to speak the word 'blade' surely is enough evidence, I presume?" 

You sighed. "I don't understand what I'm not doing correctly." 

Achilles' expression grew solemn. "Let's go upstairs, child." He began walking up the stairs in his usual pace, cane and wooden steps causing those creaking sounds you hear just about everyday. 

"But what about him?" You frowned.

"It will take long for him to change into the robes- I assure you. Now, come." He continued to walk upstairs. You sighed and followed him into one of the rooms on the ground floor. 

"Sit." He ordered, pointing to one of the chairs and taking a seat in another. "Do you know why I tell the story of the Assassins and Templars so often?"

"Because their conflict affects everyone...?"

He shook his head. "That is only part of the reason. While it is true that both sides have been at odds for over six-hundred years, they cause various problems with those who interfere. [Name], I could not permit you to have your hidden blades because you were not ready. I don't know what I was thinking when I let you use them a few years ago, but these weapons have much more meaning than for idle minds and hunting animals.

"Assassins have always been using these- even dating back to 5th Century BCE Iran, where Darius had slain King Xerxes I. Because of this, this weapon was able to advance further, in due time. Altaïr had used the hidden blade himself, however, during that time, Assassins had to undergo the removal of their ring finger in order to equip the weapon. That shows how much dedication an Assassin would need in order to wield such an iconic weapon. Around 200 or so years later, Ezio Auditore and those of the Italian Brotherhood had adapted the blade so that they would be able to keep their ring fingers. That was also when they had began to use two hidden blades, thanks to Leonardo da Vinci."

You remained silent, as he pulled out a wooden box, very similar to what the box Connor's blades had rested in. "Now, I shall render these blades back to you, as you now have a strong knowledge of their background. You should be lucky that I was able to get my hands on these- an extra pair. As these were the blades that had belonged to you, Connor is the one with the blades I had once used." He opened the box, taking out two perfect blades with their wrist guards. He handed them to you, as you took them with gratitude and earnest. 

"Thank you, Achilles." You said, putting the vambraces on.

"It is not me who has done a thing. You, especially, have grown. And with that expression on your face, you don't think you're deserving of them." You nodded. "Let me tell you something. Even the great Altaïr himself was demoted and stripped of his blade. You should not feel any shame."

You heard footsteps, and sure enough, Connor was the one they had belonged to. Donned in the Assassins robes, he stretched a bit in order to relieve the stiffness of the garb. "Looking good, Connor." You said with a light laugh. 

Achilles stood up and walked over to Connor. "Once upon a time we had ceremonies on such occasions. But I don't think either of us are really the type for that. You've your tools and training. Your targets and goals. And now you have your title." He rested his hand on his shoulder. "Welcome to the Brotherhood, Connor."