Chapter 3: Encounter

Whoa there. My Connor-senses are tinkling. You lucky ducklings.

Saber

On this land, I am torn. Part of me wants to fight and repel all outsiders. The other part of me is the outsider.

"Achilles!" You groaned, your face in your pillow, blanket covering your whole body, including your head. After a minute, with nothing, you shouted again. "Achilles!!" You tossed and turned in your bed, ignoring your bed head and the hair that was covering your eyes. You began hearing footsteps come up the stairs and was satisfied.

Finally.

You heard the door crack open, and heard the footsteps come closer. "What is it, girl?!"

"Girl isn't a polite term for your daughter." You yawned, turning again.

"You are not my daughter." He corrected.

You rolled your eyes. "Well I sorta am."

"What did you call me for?" He sighed. You turned to face him and grinned. "What?" He looked down at you, his hat creating a shadow over his eyes to give a rather dark appearance, telling you that you shouldn't be messing with him at five in the morning.

"I dunno." You turned and went back to "sleep".

You heard Achilles mumble to himself. You grinned once again to yourself, this time more triumphant and a bit more impish. Although, suddenly you felt yourself being dragged out of the bed by your collar. "Old man! What the hell do you think you're doing?" You flailed your arms around, struggling to loosen from his grip.

"Getting you off your lazy butt so you can actually do some work around here for once," was his response.

'Damn you.' You thought.

"And if you're feeling as if you want to be cursing me out right now, those are more signs of your lack of labor."

You groaned, purposely loud. "It's five o'clock!" You complained.

"Says the girl who woke me up at five o'clock." He retorted. He's got a point.

You sighed, knowing that you put this on yourself, so you might as well do what he wanted. "What do I have to do?" You asked, lacking much enthusiasm.

You couldn't even read his face of any clues that portrayed what he had in mind. "You'll find out soon enough..." He murmured.

"I'm actually quite frightened to know now..." You sighed. He stopped dragging you, letting you fall flat against the wooden floor boards to face the ceiling. He then poked you with his cane, telling you to stand up and follow him, which you reluctantly did.

And then is where a chilling breeze outside met your skin, causing you to shudder. "Why are we outside?" You complained again. Your complaining might actually cause Achilles a headache, which you didn't mind. 

"Just go do a perimeter check of the area and try not to annoy any residents, animals, life forms, or anything else you seem to enjoy bothering." Well then. 

"But this Homestead is huge!" You tried finding a way out of this, but it didn't seem to be working.

"You've done this many times." He sighed, most likely disappointed about how idle you could really be.

"Yeah, but not at five in the morning." You returned. Hey, that was actually pretty reasonable.

Achilles showed he thought the contrary by rolling his eyes. Figured as much. "Fine." Your hopes rose. He then shook his head as if he was making a mistake. "Just groom the horses." And the hopes died.