The Last Of Three

Luna thought she was only going to have two pups, so when her final third pup arrived, she howled in surprise and whipped her head around to see the final pup. It was small, almost too small to be a wolf.

It was also black, with a blue glowing marking on its paw. It seemed to be something connected to the Blue Magic, something that had slipped away into the folds of legend long ago.

Luna sighed with relief. The day had been unforgiving and tiring. Darkness wrapped around her and took her in slowly, until she was no longer conscious. But she could not stop thinking about that blue mark. What does it mean? Represent? Was it dangerous? As time passed, she hoped to find out the answer. Her mind was racing, but fatigue won the battle and she drifted to sleep.

The next three weeks were the same, nursing and sleeping, occasionally wandering out to find food. One day, something else happened too.

A loud crash caused Luna to jolt awake, all three pups ripping from her teats as she quickly arose. The cave entrance had been blocked.

"Damn it," she cursed. "Food will be a nightmare now! Am I supposed to let them starve? Food is scarce as it is, so why in the name of Lupus would this happen?"

Panting from her rage, she laid back down with the pups. Tomorrow she would seek a back entrance, if there even was one.

Streak, Rose and the other pup who had somehow miraculously survived 3 weeks, were all still mostly helpless, scooting around and learning their first words.

All was quiet.

Without a warning, another loud crash followed the last one, louder than before. The boulders tumbled off the entrance and into the abyss below, and shortly after a dark and menacing creature stood towering over Luna and her pups.

"Makine," Luna growled. She shied away from him and attempted to hide her pups.

Makine smiled a vicious and crazed kind of smile, flashing his yellow teeth. "You know what I'm here for." He maniacally cackled and his eyes went wild, dancing from pup to pup.

"Now which one to choose?" Makine observed all three of them, lost in thought for a moment. "Oh, what the hell, how about all of them?"

Luna had had enough of Makine. Without warning, she lunged at him and bit into his neck, causing him to howl
in either pain or frustration.

The angered wolf shook her off without trying and walked over to the pups. He looked them over and grabbed two of them by the scruffs.

"There's no point in taking your runt. He won't last a week where I'm going," Makine said, his voice as relentless as the storm.

And with that, he whirled around, taking Streak and Rose with him into the wild and crazed storm.