Born so soon

The mother wolf limped upon a path, winding unnaturally through valleys that had never been touched by the wolves of Valwynn. She was sluggish, for pups were resting within her.

It was time to find a birthing place, before the gnarly hands of Mother Nature ripped her and her little unborn pups to shreds.

The wind pushed against her, carrying her scent behind her. The icy shards of snow stung her eyes as she made her way to a small cave embedded in the landslide aftermath of debris and rocks. The month of spring was harsh this moon cycle, leaving her with limited options.

The pups were coming, so she burrowed into the depths of the cave, leaving the rumbling storm behind.

Luna whined, rolling to her side. The first pup arrived, wet and covered in placenta. She licked it clean, discovering that it was a male. It was quite large for its size and had a strange black stripe running down his back for a marking. His underbelly was a lighter gray while the rest was a stormy gray like the dark clouds outside. She named him Streak, for his markings were very fluid and indicated what a fast wolf he would become.

The second wolf was a beautiful white puppy, like Luna herself. She had the strangest color to her, a green tipped tail and slightly darker green ears. What a sight! She would be judged for this unusual color, but her beauty would make up for this.

Luna curled around her pups, her precious little gems, so special to her.

She would never let go.