“It’s not important. Are you getting ready to leave?” I asked, trying to distract him.

Layton reached for my phone and easily took it away.

“Give it back!” I shouted.

I started slapping his chest, but it didn’t do me any good. Layton was looking through my phone, not even affected by my hits. He was almost a foot taller than me, which made it easy for him to hold it out of my reach.

When Layton turned to face me, his eyes weren’t their usual grayish-blue color. Instead, they were black and he looked beyond furious.

“You texted Zeverus to warn him about the Rogues?” Layton harshly asked.

He wrapped his hand around my arm and held me close to him. I tried to take a step back, but we’d been standing really close to the bed, so I didn’t have anywhere to go.

“He needs to know. What if the Rogues go and attack his pack?” I was trying to hold my ground, but my voice faltered when I spoke.

“Their Alpha didn’t take pity when they attacked us. Why should we?” Layton growled.

I couldn’t deny how intimidating he looked. The way he was staring at me— it was like he was telling me to submit to him.

“His pack didn’t attack you. It was Rogues,” I told Layton.

I didn’t know it was possible but suddenly, Layton looked angrier than he did before.  

“So now you’re on his side? What did he do? Brainwash you, and now you feed off his every word?” Layton spat.

“No! I just know he’s right. But you’re too stupid to realize that what he said was the truth.”

I turned my back on him and tried to get away.

Somehow I managed to climb on the bed, and circle around Layton. I hadn’t even reached the door knob when Layton grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

I yelped loudly when Layton threw me in the bed roughly.

“Don’t ever, walk away from me. And I don’t want to hear you repeating what you just said,” Layton threatened.

I chuckled as I rested my back on the headboard of the bed. I couldn’t deny that I was shaken up, because I was. I just didn’t want for Layton to notice that his little stunt had actually gotten to me.  

We were both staring at each other, and in that moment I couldn’t tell who was angrier, him or me.

Neither of us broke eye contact when John barged into the room.

“Layton?” John asked.

I had to look away from Layton then. John was looking between Layton and me worriedly. He could probably tell that something was up between us.

“What is it?” Layton finally asked his father.

“You tell me,” John said, taking a few more steps into the room.

“Everything’s fine,” Layton told his father.

John stared at him for a while, but he let it drop when neither of us said anything.

“Cassidy, I’m glad you’re here honey.”

“Hey John,” I told him, giving him a small wave.

It was hard for me to pretend like nothing was going on. I felt like I wanted to choke the life out of Layton for what he had just done.

“I was actually going to ask you if you could find a way to spend some nights here. With what’s going on and the Rogues that trespassed— Beth and I would feel safer if you were here,” he said.