IX

Lucian

Red. Burning red. It was all that I could see. Anger coarsed through my veins, engulfing me — fueling the beast in me. With a roar, I threw my glass of whiskey across the room, shattering it into pieces. The palms of my hands met the hard wood table of my desk, shaking beneath me.

"Why the fuck are they still doing in my territory?!" I screamed.

Valentin sighed, clenching and unclenching his jaw. "We don't know."

My hands clenched harder. I threw the closest thing my hand could grab — a whiskey bottle. He easy dodged it and caught it with ease.

"Find them!"

Valentin shook his head. "No." My eyes snapped to his direction, growling. He looked at me, unfazed. Before I could say anything, he spoke, "we are not going to waste our time and men to find them. We have a murderer on the loose, taking our she-wolves and killing them in broad daylight. If we track down two of the best assassins, we will be wasting our resources and leave the pack vulnerable."

I bit back a growl. He was right. They would toy with us and keep us running around in circles. "What do you expect we do? Let them stay here in my territory and let them do what they please?"

"We don't have a choice. This is the Devil's Daughter and Erebus, spawns of the Devil. This isn't a fight we can win and you know it. Besides, they aren't a threat-"

"Yet." I said.

He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I know that, Lucian. I don't like this as much as you do. But they saved my mate and stopped the rogue from harming our pack." He said, pouring whiskey into a glass and handed it to me. "If they wanted to be a threat, they would've killed us already."

I took the glass and drank it straight, the alcohol burning the back of my throat. "That doesn't make them any less of a threat to us."

Leonce, my Master of Arms, stepped forward, his eyes elsewhere but I could see the wheels in his head turning. "What if we propose a deal with them?"

I raised a brow, glancing at Zenon, my head tracker, who had the same expression as me. We sat down and nodded at Leonce to continue. "Think about it. Weeks after the first killing incident, they suddenly show up and they save a pack member, stop rogues and give us information. They're here for a reason. My gut says that whatever is happening to our pack, it's their job to stop it."

"Or, they could be the reason why our women are being taken." Zenon said.

Leonce shook his head. "Maybe Erebus. But the Devil's Daughter? I don't think so. We've seen her work before. If she wanted to take someone, she would be quick, clean and you won't even notice it unless she wants you to, with no casualties. She doesn't linger around and interact with people."

He has a point. We have once got a glimpse of how she works before.

We went to a neighboring pack who was asking for our help. Someone from their pack betrayed them and stole important equipment and files from them. He was on the run and we had no idea where he could possibly hide. We planned for a solid week on how we would catch him. As we were about to send our men to possible hiding spots, we were told that there was a box at the door of the pack house with no name, no returning address, no nothing. And inside was a folder with all the stolen files, the stolen equipment and a body bag with the body of the one who betrayed them, chopped into pieces with a letter from the Devil's Daughter that wrote: You're welcome.

We never knew how she killed him, where she found him and how she got into the pack without anybody noticing her.

"Who's the Devil's Daughter and Erebus?" Our heads turned towards Jasper who stood a few feet behind Leonce. "They looked like some regular, puny humans to me."