Chapter {8}

Hi everyone! I think it's been.... over a year. Wow. I am so sorry. I was in my junior year and with AP classes and SATs and college visits... I was so busy. It is such a relief to be able to start writing again this summer and HOPEFULLY I won't be as busy senior year. I am super excited to continue this story (and possibly start a new one which you can see if you check it out-- it's called Destiny). Anyways, I'm going to try to update this once a week and finish the story! Thank you so much for being by my  side throughout the hard times and I promise my updating WILL GET BETTER. I love you all so much.

I am sitting in the living room with my legs crossed and just about all of the junk food in the world in my lap.

Dani walks into the room with Diamond trailing behind her and she places one hand on her hip before looking disgustedly at the food that I am drowning in.

"Will, what are you doing?"

I look down and sigh. "Nothing, Dani."

"Well, whatever. Mom told me to tell you the news." She sits down on the couch next to me.

"What... what news?" Now I am confused, and although the TV is playing my favorite show, I don't even bother to pay attention.

"Mom got a text about a chat about a rumor that the fire that was started during your bio trip was by a student-"

"Dani, duh. I already know that. The school called on the way home yesterday and told me that-"

Dani stops me halfway through my sentence. "No, Willow. You didn't let me finish. They're saying that that student was Jaxon Matthews."

"What?" I choke on a mouthful of kettle popcorn. "J-Jaxon? He didn't do that. I know he wouldn't do something like that."

"They found a cigarette near the scene and his DNA was on it. They think he caused the fire."

I stop shoving food into my already loaded mouth and I stand up. The kettle popcorn falls off of my lap and pieces lay on the ground.

"Will, where are you going?" Dani asks.

I don't respond. I have to find Jaxon.

He wouldn't do something like this. He wouldn't smoke on a school field trip, let alone set the place on fire. I know him- I knew him. He wouldn't.

I run out the door and down the street until I reach his house.

I knock on the door, a little concerned about Jaxon and a little embarrassed that I am even here.

Jaxon opens the front door and looks at me with a pained expression. He's about to shut the door on my face, but I place my hand on the door and stop him.

"Jaxon-"

He looks away. I know he doesn't want pity and I know he probably doesn't want to see me after the conversation we had in the nurse's office, but I need to know. I need to know what happened.

I let myself inside his house without him even letting me in. He shuts the door behind me.

I sit down on the couch in his living room.

Before I can say anything, he plops himself down on the couch next to me and buries his head into a pillow.

I've never seen Jaxon like this before. In the 10 years that we had been friends, never once had I seen him cry. Never.

I take the pillow away from his hands and push his head up so that he is directly looking me in the eyes.

His bright blue eyes now look dull and foggy and I can't read him. I don't know why I can't read him. I don't know.