Part Seven

I didn't know how to feel. I was mad that she was going to make Soph keep something as big as that cooped up. And confused. Why was that? Was it a secret? Was the pregnancy an accident? I didn't exactly like Moira to begin with, and the fact that my dad had moved on from me and Soph so quickly really grinded my gears. I was sort of sad too. We clearly didn't have the cash to bring another kid into the world and raise it in this crappy, tiny little house. But I was excited, like, really, really excited. A little brother or sister to mess with and tease and wind up - as well as mentoring and loving, of course - would really add something to my life. Maybe she or he would call a certain someone, "Uncle Casper". That would be adorable. I'm not sure I could take that.

Anyway, the first person I told was Casper. Naturally, I was going to tell the only person who really cared at all. In fact, the person who cared a whole lot.

"What? Seriously? How're you feeling about this?" he replied instantly.

"I'm not sure. Better than Soph, that's for sure."

"What? Why?"

"Well picture this; a broken family; two kids with an unkind step-mother and a biological mother who dumped them on their father, who's at work 24/7. The older kid can't speak and the ten-year-old does the cleaning, shopping, paperwork and banking, then give her a baby to look after. It's going to end up being Sophie's baby. Moira's great like that..."

Casper took a while to reply. "That sucks! Maybe I can come over on the weekends and lend her a hand?"

I smiled. He always knew just what to do.

"Thanks Cas - that would be perfect."

He came over on Saturday, as Saturday was house maintenance day for Soph. I usually cleaned upstairs and Soph sorted the whole of downstairs. I also sometimes helped her with the food shopping, though she seemed to think that not having a voice meant I was incapable of doing such work and so she always insisted that I relax whenever there's a job that she could do instead. There was a knock on the door and I dashed down to answer. From the spring in my step, I think Soph guessed who it was.

"Hi Mister Ardvan." she said when I opened the door.

He smiled warmly, "Call me Casper. So, Lady Sophie, what's my first job?"

Soph turned to me, "Huh?"

I signed to her, "He's here to help with the cleaning. Just don't break him. And give him back when you're done."

Casper snickered at that and had to explain to my sister that he had learned sign language. A long 'aaaaaawwwwww!' from my sister clearly showed that she thought it was adorable. So did I.