Newbie

"Pardon me, but can you please direct me to the warden's office please," I asked politely once the receptionist got off the phone. She briefly sized me up with her deep brown eyes before smiling.

"What's your name darlin'," she asked, her southern accent thick.

"Lizanna Marvel, ma'am."

"Ah, so you're the newbie huh? Nice to have another female officer here in this testosterone infested place," she said as she gave me her hand to shake. "I'm Pauline Dunt."

I smiled at the woman. "Nice to meet you Pauline."

After our introductions, Pauline called the warden on her phone to update him on my arrival, then she guided me to his office behind the reception desk. Once I was outside his door, I knocked three times.

"Come in."

Taking a deep breath, I turned the knob and entered. The warden's office was huge and screamed expensive from the chairs to the paintings and sculptures that decorated the room. A huge mahogany desk was situated in the center of the room, where a very handsome man dressed in all black sat. He was sifting through paperwork, a crease forming on his forhead as he read. He looked peeved, agitated even.

As if sensing my prescence, the warden looked up and met my gaze. "Well, are you gonna come in or not?"

"Oh, sorry sir."

I entered his office with a confident gait before taking a seat in front of him. He let out a sigh, straightened his paper work before placing it off to the side, and gave me his full attention. "Officer Marvel, I presume? Welcome to Juggernaut maximum security prison. Based on your test scores and combat skills, it is an honor to have you with us."

I smiled. "It's my-"

"But understand that this is no ordinary prison. These inmates will chew you up and spit you out if you aren't attentive or harsh enough," he interrupted. "These deadbeat motherfuckers will size you up and act accordingly. If they see you as weak, they will treat you like one. Most of all, do not underestimate them. At first glance, they may seem like a bunch of idiotic retards, but under that façade they are, in fact, very intelligent and clever. As an officer here, I'm going to need you to be at your best and to rule with an iron fist. I need your eyes to be as sharp as a hawk and your combat skills even sharper."

He paused as he gave me an intense stare. I knew he was testing me, making sure that I understood his instructions. Unblinking, I merely maintained eye contact with the warden; it was a nonverbal communication to show that I was up for the challenge.

"I'm glad you understand what is expected of you," he resumed a moment later. "It's a pleasure to have you with us Officer Lizanna Marvel." He stretched out his hand for a handshake, making his Rolex watch gleam from the rays of sunlight streaming from his window blinds. I caught the word Vito carved in intricate italics on the inside portion of the watch before it was reflected.

I extended my hand and gave him a firm handshake. "Thank you, warden...um?

"Westbrook."

A knock on the door interrupted our conversation. "Come in." A very muscular man entered the spacious room a second later and just like the warden he was very handsome. Dressed in his officer uniform that strained to cover his muscle, the man crossed the room and stood beside me.

"Officer Marvel meet officer Hern. As of today he will be your partner. Take her to get her uniform Hern then show her around the premises," he ordered. I stood up and followed the now retreating officer out of the warden's office.

"Hello, my name is Lizanna Marvel. Nice to meet you partner."

He gave me a withering stare before grunting, "I know who you are. Also, don't call me 'partner' again. We are merely coworkers. Nothing more, nothing less." I scowled at him. "What in the hell is that suppose to mean," I challenged. "How are we supposed to watch each other's backs if we establish our relationship like that? We are partners in arms, soldiers of the law-"

He interrupted my inspirational speech with a laugh. It wasn't a warm hearty laugh, but a dark and twisted one. "Whatever you say Ms. Marvel, whatever you say," he said as we turned a corner into a long hallway. My scowl couldn't have gotten any deeper. "It's Officer Marvel," I corrected. "Get it right. I'm just as equal in rank as you are so don't give me that degrading shit. I earned that title through sheer hard work Officer Hern."

He rolled his eyes and shrugged. We made it to the uniform distribution room in silence. Within ten minutes, I was given my uniform and changed in their fitting room. I discarded my outside clothing in a plastic bag the personnel gave me before pinning my bouncy natural curls in a tight bun.

I looked so professional in my uniform as I took in my appearance from the mirror. My last name was carved quite nicely on my golden plated name badge that was sowed on the upper left side of my breast. I could feel the weight of my position kick in and it felt great.

Exiting the fitting room, I rejoined Officer Hern outside. He seemed irritated for some reason and I was not thrilled to know why. Honestly, working with him will truly be the hardest part of this job. When he saw me approaching, he stood up quickly and crossed his ginormous arms. "Could you be any slower?"

"Could you be any nicer?" I retorted. He huffed, before walking out. I placed my fingers on my temple, massaging it slowly to prevent a raging migraine as a result of my partners stupidity.

We toured the Office Ward, before moving to the real excitement: Juggernaut. We bypassed security at the front gates before entering inside the massive correctional facility. Men and woman patrolled the area silently, there eyes trained sharply for any signs of trouble or disorder. I noticed snipers positioned in towers that overlooked the outside of the facility.

"Juggernaut has five levels. They are A, B, C, D, and E," he explained. "The level we are about to enter first is E, the lowest level." As we approached the entrance to level E, two stationed officers nodded toward Hern and let us through. I could hear the sound of bantering, yelling, and cursing as we approached the center of the cell holdings. Level E was comprised of five stories of cells, each one holding a single inmate.

"As you will notice later on, levels E, D, and C are relatively similar in structure. The only thing that really differs is the fact that we place more personnel in each building."

After an hour and thirty minutes, we arrived to Level A, the highest level that confines the worst criminals. Only a total of three prisoners were kept here behind transparent thick glass walls. Officer Hern mentioned that it was set up this way because the government feared their escape and so solitary confinement for these men was absolutely necessary. He also mentioned that the warden didn't place much men down here because he wanted the prisoners to have as little contact with individuals as he could.

Hern further explained to me before we walked in was that cameras and automatic machine guns were placed around the cell holdings. They were connected to the same computer program and worked simultaneously. The technical staff kept watch over these prisoners through the computers in a surveillance room somewhere in the building.

When we finally made it deep inside the building, three devilishly handsome men, wearing orange prison garb, were pathetically rapping from their cells.

"Welcome to Level A," Officer Hern began with a smile. "Our post."

*************************
Please vote and comment on what you think of the story!