Ch. 14 - Twin Senses Are Tingling

Start from the beginning

"It's not your fault," I assure.

"Is she okay?" he asks next.

I nod. "She's fine. It's Rose who hasn't gotten out of surgery yet."

He shuts his eyes tightly before reopening them. "She'll be okay, right? I-I won't be able to live with myself if she's not okay."

"It's not your fault," I repeat.

He sighs before pulling me into another hug. I can tell he needs it just as much as I do. It isn't his fault. It isn't Addison's fault either. It's my fault. I was in charge. I let Addison drive. I turned the wheel. It's my fault. With a heavy heart, I cry into Mikey's shoulder. He doesn't seem to mind, holding me closer to him as I do so.

Eventually, I'm able to stop crying and pull myself together. Mikey and I go to sit by Nora and wait for the others to come back out. About half an hour passes before they do.

"She's awake if you want to see her," Elliott says to me, glancing at Mikey suspiciously.

Mikey stands up and sticks his hand out to introduce himself to Elliott. "I'm Mike."

Elliott quirks an eyebrow, looking him up-and-down before turning back to me. "The doctor said Rosie's out of surgery. She's not awake yet and he won't let us see her."

I nod and stand up from the chair to follow him back to Addison's room. Her leg is propped up, a purple cast covering it. She has cuts and bruises all over her body, bandaids to hide the gruesome injuries. Elliott doesn't stay.

"Addison," I whisper and reach out to touch her hand.

She smiles ever-so faintly. "Hi."

"I'm sorry."

"Funny. I was about to say the same thing," she says, her voice quiet and weak. Her eyes lock on something behind me, her smile falling.

I turn to see Mikey standing at the doorway. He takes in the sight of Addison in the hospital bed before sighing and standing close to the bed.

"Hi," he says.

I move to give them some space, standing near the corner of the room by Crystal, Ethan, Jonas, and Bethany.

"Hi," she says back, a tentative look on her face.

"Can I sign your cast?" Mike asks.

Addison smiles softly. "Sure."

"I-I'm going to go find a marker," he says nervously and heads to the door, bumping into a side table on his way out.

"Why is he here?" Addison asks once he's out of earshot. "It doesn't make sense."

"Why doesn't it make sense?"

"I've been ignoring him for like three days. That's why I wanted to answer his call so badly while driving." She shakes her head. "I'm so stupid. I just wanted to apologize to him and let him know I made a mistake. I've just been acting crazy recently."

"You're not stupid. I mean, yes, it was stupid to grab your phone while driving, but I shouldn't have let you drive in that weather. I'm the stupid one." I sigh. "And clearly Mikey cares about you. He called fifteen different hospitals to get to you!"