Chapter 6 The Promise

Edited-3/13/17

Edited Again-8/27/18

I'm not paying attention to the ride at all, my thoughts taking over me as I gaze out the window with my cheek resting against my fist. I'm not sure how long we've been driving, but Mr. Izumi keeps saying we're almost there so we must be getting close. That or his perception of time is way off.

I'm still not sure what I'm gonna say to my mother when I see her. Maybe I'll know as soon as I get there? I'm not really sure.

I wonder what she'll say; if she'll attempt to harm me either vocally or physically.

As my thoughts begin to sink deeper into negativity, I'm snapped out of it when Mr. Izumi places his hand on my shoulder, gently shaking me.

"Suna, we're here." He says, moving to unbuckle his seat belt and exit out of the car. I sit there for a moment and take a deep breath to calm my racing heart. Even if my mother wanted to harm me physically, I'm sure there will be police officers there to make sure nothing happens to me. With that in mind, I exit the car and walk towards Mr. Izumi who stands by the entrance to the station. I take a moment to take the building in. The building itself wasn't very large, but it seemed large enough for its purpose. The walls are as dark as a cloud during a thunderstorm, and above the door stands a sign that gives an indication as to what the building is.

Mr. Izumi pushes open the glass door and holds it, waiting for me to enter. I smile politely at him as I make my way inside, and the scent of paper, ink, and metal are the first things that greet me along with the sound of countless people scattering around like ants, each working on their own cases I'm sure. Mr. Izumi gently grabs my arm and leads me down the hall where a few officers greet him; some with smiles and some none at all. It's very hard to tell if Mr. Izumi is well liked or not, but I'm not sensing any distaste the others might feel towards him like my mother feels towards me.

We stop in front of a female officer that's standing guard in front of a door, and her face immediately changes from one of boredom to one of content once she sees Mr. Izumi's face.

"Good morning Izumi-senpai! I didn't know you were coming in this morning, I thought your shift wasn't until noon." The lady says, her eyes moving from his face to mine, offering me a bright smile. I timidly offer her one in return.

"Good morning Officer Takana, I do still have that shift, I just have a few important things I need to take care of that I'd rather have done right now instead of later." He smiles back at her kindly before placing a hand on my shoulder. "This is Setsuna Yukimori. She's a victim in the Akane Yukimori case, as well as her daughter. Suna says she'd like to speak to her mother before filing a report about what happened at the Yukimori resident." His smile fades into a frown when he mentions my mom, and I hear the tone in his voice grow cold.

Officer Takana looks down at me with wide eyes before stepping close to Mr. Izumi while lowering her voice into a whisper. "You mean, she's the poor child that Ms. Yukimori was referring to in her diary? The test subject? I knew she's a terrible person because of the report on her at the lab, but to use your own daughter as an experiment? It's just so....wrong." she frowns and I can't help but feel irritated at her comments. She's speaking about me like I'm not even here!

With a frown, I tilt my chin upwards to stare into her eyes, "You know, I read about people who like to gossip but I would've thought that an adult like you would treat a victim with respect and not talk about her life like it was something you read off of a newspaper. Especially if that victim was abused for half of her life and is standing literally right in front of you."