PROLOGUE

NATIONAL SECURITY INVESTIGATIONS HEADQUARTERS

OCTOBER 13

1 AM

Two guards sat in front of a huge panel of computer screens trying to stay awake for the remainder of the night, yawning and stretching to drive the sleep away. Around them the computers monitored the Headquarters with the help of Security cameras even though it was heavily guarded with soldiers around the clock. The Control room was very small. Many extra chairs were left in front of the panel for the day workers. The floor was strewn with hard drives, papers with technical graphs and a lot of wires connecting every system to the Data storage box.

"Man, this is tiring," a plump guard said stretching, "I knew I shouldn't have signed up for night duty!"

"Yeah! I feel like I'll fall asleep any minute now," the white haired guard said standing up. The plush office chair on which he had been sitting skidded to a halt next to a bookcase filled with messy stacks of paper.

"I'm going to get myself a coffee," he continued edging himself out of the cramped space, "You want some Douglas?"

"Sure!" Douglas added after a few seconds, "I'll cover for you." pointing at the screens. He turned around and realized he was alone in the room.

"I need a Black coffee... not a regular," he called after him then mumbled to himself, "Oh well! I think I'll manage with a regular,"

Douglas rubbed his eyes and turned his attention back to the screens. A flicker of movement on Camera:1 which was placed outside the compound caught his attention. For fraction of a second he thought he saw the swishing of a black cloak and the next moment the screen went black.

What the hell!?

The Security alarms went off in the whole building, with noise enough to wake the dead and a mechanical voice filled the room,

'Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!  Intruder Alert!'

And Camera: 2 and Camera: 3 went black.

Time seemed to slow down for Douglas as beads of sweat formed on his forehead.

Soldiers with guns were running over to the area to stop the intruder.

A lone drop slid down his face.

A couple more cameras went black. Gunfire shook the building.

He took out a handkerchief and wiped it off.

He grabbed the intercom and dialed the Director's number. Nobody was supposed to call the Director's number unless it was an emergency, but if this wasn't an emergency nothing else was. There was still hope, his last hope.

Perhaps he would send in more men.

There was absolute silence throughout the compound. The blaring alarm had stopped. Another camera went black.

There is no time to panic.

He pressed the call button and waited for the dialing tone but nothing happened. Cold sweat drenched his clothes. He tried to calm down and think straight.

How is it possible?

He stood up. The phone could be dead only if there was no electricity anywhere else. He glanced up at the lone bulb that was still glowing.

Then how-

His thoughts were cut short as the bulb flickered and went off, and the last camera just outside his corridor went black.

He felt the door open and he slowly backed up against the computer panel, goosebumps rising all over his body.

"I can sense a man," said a raspy voice that made the hair on his neck stand on its end, "So don't bother hiding,"

Suddenly everything clicked into place. The cloaked figure... the security breach... the cameras...

"You're... you're... T.M.O." he said in a shaky whisper.

"Lies, lies and more lies," the voice said bemused, "Looks like Mr. Director hasn't been truthful with you." said the voice mockingly.

"So... much po-power!" Douglas said shuddering, "You should be controlled!"

"Stop blabbering!" a pregnant pause, "I wonder how you will react when you know the truth..."

"D-don't c-come any clo-closer" Douglas said pulling out a pistol, "I-I'll shoot!"

"My patience is wearing down and I dont have all day, so let me enlighten you," said the raspy voice, "I am not T.M.O... I am T.I.O."

For a few minutes nothing could be heard except Douglas's ragged breathing.

"It... it can't be!" he gasped, wide eyed as he slid down to the floor, "It isn't possible!"

"Don't be surprised Douglas, this isn't the only thing he lied about..." the cold voice said laughing a kind of laughter that would send chills down anyone's spine.

And after a few minutes Douglas's screams and a maniacal laughter could be heard throughout the deserted plains where NSI was located.

........................................