Chapter Six

The night rolled in. We were all sitting at the edge of the pool with our feet dangling in the water. We decided to talk about our loved ones considering we didn’t have a certain subject. First up was Dylan. He talked about his big sister, considering her a role model since he was a kid. Then it was Mateo’s turn. Mateo was telling us about his crazy adventures with Moises.

“He’s always there when I need him. I really hate when we fight, you know? He’s my best friend.” We all awed at him. “Okay, Liv you’re up.”

“I’ll have to talk about Cade.” She sat straight up and sighed. “Well, Cade kind of bugs me all the time but deep down he’s the best little brother a girl could have. He even helps me put my shoes on.”

“Cade’s a sweet kid.” Olivia nodded. Dylan cleared his throat. “Leo?”

“Sure! I’ll be talking about my dad.” He stood up and stood on one of the chairs. “You see, my dad is this muscly guy who seems tough, and he does but he’s not afraid to show his feelings. He’s not afraid to cry in public if you ask me. Two weeks ago when I went to practice karate, they told me I was getting another belt and he was crying the whole time.”

“Do you have to mock him?” I raised an eyebrow at him. He gave me a death glare and jumped off the chair.

“Funny.” He walked back to the edge of the pool and sat next to me. “Your turn.”

“Well, I’m guessing I’ll talk about my brother Jason.” I fixed the hoodie Olivia had given me earlier. “Jason is my big brother and he was a marine. We spent most of our time together He used to pick me up from school every day before leaving. And he would always send me a letter or gift on Valentine’s day considering I’ve never had a boyfriend. He was amazing and still is although he’s dead.” Everyone was silent for a while. Liv was the first one to speak.

“Your brother does sound amazing.” She placed her hand on my shoulder. “Do you ever miss him?”

“Every single day but I’m used to it.” Olivia placed her head on my shoulder as sign of support.

“Wait. You’ve never had a boyfriend?” Olivia and I turned to look at Mateo.

“Really Teo?” We all stared at him. His face went pale. Olivia and I exchanged looks and nodded. She tried pushing Mateo into the pool. Teo grabbed her hand pulling her with him. I went to grab Liv but failed when she pulled me along with her. That ended up in Leo trying to grab me and the four of us falling into the pool.

“I’m so getting you for this!” Olivia yelled while splashing water. We all turned to look at Dylan who seemed to be the only one to survive the chain. “Hey Dylan! Are you having fun up there?”

“Uh, no.” He took off his shirt and jumped into the pull. We all laughed at him. I turned to look at Leo. He used his arms to get out of the pool and sitting on the edge. I swam over and looked up at him.

“Hey.” He stopped fixing his hair and looked down at me. “Can I talk to you?”

“Sure. Have a seat.” I laughed and jumped out of the pool. I sat next to him and sighed.

“Remember what happened last night? Me hitting Kendall?” He nodded. “Well, her mom’s lawyer called my mom’s this morning. Apparently they’re taking this to court.”

“Uh, don’t you think it’s a little too much?” I shrugged. “Well, I’ll be happy to be a witness.”

“That’s really nice but I can handle myself.” Leo shook his hand as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders, pulling me closer to his body.

“Hey, friends stand up for each other and I’m always going to be here for you.” I smiled at him and gave him a side hug.

“Hey guys!” We looked up to see Olivia hitting Mateo as he smirked.

“I told you to leave them alone!” Leo and I laughed at our friends. Dylan pushed them both into the pool again. Leo and I laughed and decided to get into the pool as well.

“Uh, Chloe!” I stopped swimming and turned to look at him. “Do you want to hang out tomorrow? Just us?”

“Sure.” I gave him a smile which he returned. We joined the others and got out of the water when Olivia’s mom made a special announcement.

“Kids, there’s hot chocolate inside for all of you but you have to get dry and change out of those wets clothes.” We all groaned but headed upstairs to get changed anyways.

Olivia showed the boys some bathrooms and led me to one of the guest rooms. I dried my hair with my towel and fixed it into a messy bun before getting in the shower. After getting showered, I changed into my pink Hollister sweatpants and my grey Viva La Playa tank.

When I arrived at the living room, Olivia was sitting on a couch with her cup of chocolate in her hands while Dylan chilled on the other couch and Mateo and Leo searched through some movies. I grabbed my cup of chocolate and sat down beside Liv.

“What are they doing?” She looked up at me and shrugged.

“Looking for a movie to watch. Apparently I have a lot of movies.” We laughed together and turned to look at boys once we heard a whistle.

“Got it! How about we have a Fast and Furious marathon?” Mateo held the first three movies while Leo held parts four and five.

“Adrenaline, yes!” They all gave me weird looks. “Can’t a girl like adrenaline?”

“What other odd things do you like?” I shrugged and took another sip of my chocolate. Olivia still sat next to me, texting away on her phone.

“Who’s Luke?” She turned to look at me with wide eyes.  She held her index finger close to her lips, shushing me.

“Oh! That’s Liv’s boyfriend.” Mateo piped up, getting a death glare from Olivia.

“Can we watch the movie?” Dylan threw his hands up in the air. Mateo and I laughed as Leo put the first movie in the DVD. Leo came and sat next to me so that meant I was sharing the couch with him and Olivia. I couldn’t even stretch my legs if I wanted to.