Chapter 14 - Night School (part 2)

Start from the beginning

"What fell through the ceiling?" asked a frantic Lydia.

"Just, just help me. Move that stack of chairs!" said Scott.

I moved to assist them, but Stiles held his arm out to stop me. "Guys," he said. The four of them continued to move tables and stack the lunch chairs in front of the doors. I highly doubted that it would manage to keep The Alpha out. "Guys, if you would just wait a second...listen to me. Guys, can we wait a second?"

I looked at him in confusion and felt silly as I stood around as they all worked to secure the doors. He seemed annoyed at their ignorance. I wanted to help him get their attention, but if they wouldn't listen to him, they sure as hell wouldn't listen to me.

"Hello!" He shouted, finally getting them all to stop and face him. "Okay, nice work. Really beautiful job everyone. Now, what should we do about the twenty-foot wall of windows?"

He motioned to our left where the entire wall consisted of windows, exposing us. I felt stupid for not realizing it sooner, but thankful that Stiles had. At least one of us was sane enough at the moment to be aware of our surroundings.

Their faces all fell as they realized what they had just done. Now I wished I would have said something earlier to get their attention. Maybe if I had helped to stop them sooner they wouldn't all feel so foolish and I wouldn't feel so bad.

"Can someone please explain to me what is going on, because I am freaking out here," begged Allison, turning to Scott. "And I would really like to know why. Scott?"

Scott ran over to a pair of chairs and leaned over them, thinking everything through in his mind. I knew he wanted to tell Allison the whole truth, but at the same time he knew that wasn't possible. As easy as it may seem to tell your girlfriend you're a werewolf, getting her to accept it is an issue entirely in itself.

Lydia, Jackson, and Allison all gaped at Scott for an answer. I wanted to help him, just make something up so that he wouldn't be burdened with the choice. Instead, I stood frozen, praying that he would make the right decision.

"Somebody killed the janitor," said Stiles. I looked up at him in amazement and thankfulness for saying those words, even if they did sting.

"What?" said Lydia, her voice high and frail.

Stiles continued taking small steps towards the three. "Yeah, the janitor's dead."

"What - what is he talking about?" said Allison. She gave an uncomfortable laugh in hopes that what Stiles had just said was some kind of joke. If only it was.

"Who killed him?" asked Jackson, his voice demanding.

I stood away from everyone, holding my arms to my chest. I wished they would all stop looking at Scott. I can tell it's beginning to make him nervous and pressured. 

"No, no, no...this is supposed to be over, the mountain lion - "

Jackson broke Lydia off. "Don't you get it? There wasn't a mountain lion."

"Who was it?" Allison demanded. "What does he want? What's happening...?"

She shouted Scott's name, finally getting him to turn around and face us. I began fiddling with my necklace, twisting it around in my finger tips. I prayed to whoever would listen for everything to be okay. I prayed for them all to make it out of here alive, even if it means that I don't. It wouldn't make a different anyways, me being gone. Derek's dead, too. Everyone would eventually move on and forget I ever existed. I would be nothing more than an empty desk in a classroom. I can live with that.

Maybe I'd get to see Mom and Zoe again. I could just sacrifice myself to The Alpha, let him finish what he started. Then he could leave the rest of them alone and they can all get on with their lives. Stiles can continue his quest for Lydia's affection and Scott can keep Allison without all the baggage.