Chapter 18: An Unstoppable Force Meets an Immovable Object

Comenzar desde el principio

Seating themselves inside the vehicle, Maine turned her head to the taller boy, flashing her a wide smile "So, ano yung gusto mong ipakita sakin" she chirped.

RJ buckled up his seatbelt as he placed his hands on the steering wheel "I want to go watch the sunrise with you" he voiced with a flushed face.

Maine was speechless for a while, eyes locked on him "I...I... don't know what to say. RJ, that's... really sweet of you, thank you" she managed as a permanent smile was draped across her lips.

RJ shrugged, trying to display a sense of causality about the whole thing though his heart was beating like a marching band's drum.

Coughing, he pressed on the gas pedal and asked "Anyways, nag breakfast kana ba?"
Maine shook her head, biting her lip she answered "Nope, not yet, why?"

"Good, cause I packed breakfast for us" RJ replied with a warm smile.

****************************
Soundtrack: Boyce Avenue – Find Me [Play for a better reading experience]

They sat down on the patch of grass on a rounded hill, overlooking the eastern horizon. It was a good thing the town was small, it had an air of the country side but was still developed like a city; and like all country sides, people didn't have to look very far to find a place uninhabited by modern growth.

It had taken them a half hour drive to get here, just in time to get a front row seat for mother nature's first show of the day.

Maine and RJ huddled together, basking in each others presence as they ate the meal. It was quiet, except when a few unlikely vehicles whizzed by on the nearest road. They talked, about everything and anything as they waited for the sunrise.

"So, why did you want to do this all of a sudden?" Maine asked in an elated manner as she leaned her head against RJ's shoulder.

The boy chuckled before playfully answering the question with another "Why, I can't be spontaneous?"

Maine giggled before shaking her head "Wala naman akong sinabing ganun"

RJ and Maine watched as the orange glow lit up the frame of their vision gradually. The light was as intense as a love affair. They were blinded, delighted, not just because it was warm and wonderful, but because nature measures nothing. Nobody needs this much sunlight. Nobody needs droughts, volcanoes, monsoons, tornadoes either, but we get them, because our world is as extravagant as a world can be. We are the ones obsessed by measurement, the world just pours it out.

RJ shifted his gaze from one beauty to the next; Maine. This was it, his real reason for doing all of this.

To say the three words that were tugging on his heartstrings. He didn't want to overdo or overuse the word, he wanted to say it with sincerity, affection, and perfectly in this perfect moment.

Without fear or hesitation, the word edging slowly across his lips. I say I'm in love with her. What does that mean? It means I review my future and my past in the light of this feeling. It's as though I wrote in a foreign language that I'm suddenly able to read. Wordlessly, she explains me to myself. Like genius, she is ignorant of what she does.

Perhaps love is like that; not a contract between equal parties but an explosion of dreams and desires that can find no outlet in everyday life. Only this passion will do and while the fireworks last the sky is a different color.

Maine turned her head to gaze at the boy; who softly planted a kiss on her forehead, then to the tip of her nose and then to her lips.

Everything was silent, except for the birds that have begun to sing their morning ballad.
Their lips slowly parted as RJ kept his eyes locked on her, the words slipping out.