Chapter 10: Understand Me

The next morning arrived, I was up bright and early-I'm never really one to be an earlybird.
I got up, ready to go to the hospital. Getting dressed, I listened to some music. I brushed my hair, got some decent clothes on, ate breakfast, and made my way out.
"Bye, mom, I'll be out for a little bit," I called walking out.
Dallas was waiting in Buck's car for me, I ran off in my little black dress and flats to the car. He opened the door and gestured me in. Popping in the drivers seat, he asked, "Are you ready to go see Dani?"
I smiled with happiness, "Of course, I can't wait to catch up, and everything.."
I rambled on and on until he stopped me, "Babe, calm down. We're here."
I looked up and jumped out of the car, running towards the door. Dallas was trying to catch up- I'm on the track team with Pony, so it's pretty easy for me to sprint like that half away across a parking lot.
"Dani Vienna?" I breathed.
"Family related?" She raised an eyebrow at me.
Proudly, I announced, "Yes, I am."
She nodded and told us the room she was in. I ran to the elevator and pressed floor three.

When we got to her room, she was up talking to her dad. He smiled and nodded for us to come in.
"Hi, honey," he hugged me.
I hugged back, "Hey, dad."
I went over to Dani, we tightly hugged for a moment.
"Hey," I grinned, "how ya doing?"
Bruises came in, she had a cast on one arm that stretched from her wrist to elbow, she had a knee brace on her left knee, and a boot on her right foot.
"I'm better, still in pain," She replied.
"Did they give you medicine?" I asked.
She nodded at me, reassuringly, "Yes, pain meds."
"When do you get released?" I questioned.
"Today, actually " She piped.
"I can't wait to catch up," I said, sighing with relief.
Dani looked like she was gonna cry, she nodded happily, "I can't wait, either."
"I'm going to get something from the lunch room, honey, would you like anything?" Dad asked.
"I'm kind of thirsty," She coughed.
"Sir, would you like me to come with you?" Dallas offered.
The dad nodded and flashed a grin at Dallas, "Sure, son, let's go."
In Dallas' eyes, I could see a spark of hope. In his small smile, he was happy- it was a smile he's never bothered to put on. If Dallas just had a male figure in his life, or a good mother, he wouldn't be the way he was. If he had a mind to understand him, he'd see the world as a better place. He's never really had that type of family to grow up to, so when someone did accept him, it was a surprise to him.
The wild side of New York made him tougher, that's partly why he kept his feelings closed off. From blowing off steam in rumbles and gang fights, Dallas never knew what a good family was, he stood on his own solid ground. He looked to belong, he just never told anyone. Maybe that's why he protected Johnny so much, Johnnycake grew up just like him, just more quiet. The gang gave him and Johnny all that acceptance and love they needed.
They walked off, leaving Dani and I alone.
"How's everything?" She asked me.
I glanced at her, "It's getting better."
She smiled as the nurse came in, "Honey, you can be released whenever you're ready."
Dani nodded and thanked her.
"Here, let me help tidy up everything so it's easier when you get out of here," I got up and placed her clothes neatly next to her dad's bag. I got her accessories and put them ontop of her clothing. She told me her dad brought extra clothes for her, I helped her get into them so she was more comfortable.
"Wow, thanks," She hugged me.
"C'mon," Dad came walking in with a small drink. "Let's get you out of here."
He packed up her stuff and walked out. I helped Dani make her way down the hallway and to the elevator.
So, Dallas and I drove to her house. Her dad had to work, so he said we could comfort her.
We followed them for a while, coming up to a big, nice house. Dad got out and got ready to leave soon as he got home. We helped Dani get settled by sitting her on the couch and making her feel comfortable.
"Hey, babe," Dallas gently kissed her. "I've missed you."
"I've missed you, too," She kissed back.
I got her something to eat and drink. She said the hospital food wasn't the best, so I decided to fix her up lunch.
She scarfed it down like it was out of style. I made sure she took her meds and she was well rested.

So, for a few hours, all we did was talk. We played a game to catch up, asking questions and laughing. It felt good. To me, I got to expierenced sisterhood.
Dallas had left to go get some drinks considering Dani's place barley had anything. During that time we had a good, serious talk.
"I feel like people shouldn't judge, ya know?" She added. "I feel bad. I feel like I judged you, and that's why I was a bitch. Maybe we would've found out sooner about being twins."
I gave a light smile, "I know, I feel like I get judged all the time. If I'm pretty, I must be popular. If I'm pretty, I must be rich. I really ain't all that."
"You're pretty, though," She commented.
"That must be you are, too," I grinned.
"But, I feel like it's wrong, you know? to judge anyone- what they wear, what car they drive, where they live. I've heard alot about the Greasers and Socs. It's dumb to be classified as anything by what you wear or what you put in your hair."
"I feel like they should get to know each other, I hate being classified myself. I don't tell the gang that, but, that's what I feel. Why can't we just get along and be friends? See, if I ever said that to the gang, they'd laugh right in my face," I complained.
"I don't care what's in your hair, I just wanna know what's on your mind.." She mumbled, "that's what they should say.."
"That sums it up perfectly," I agreed.

So, after Dallas came back with some cokes and spending hours of reuniting, we had to go home. Her dad arrived right on time just before we left.
"Well, that was fun," Dallas grinned at me. I could tell he really thought that it was, he never smiled like that after an event.
"Yeah, it was. I felt like we were acting like sisters, it felt good," I looked down at my hands.
"You guys are sisters," he commented.
"Yes, but it felt different," I trailed off, "in the best way."
We stopped at the Curtis' house. He helped me out of the car and we walked in.
I didn't see Sodapop around, "Where's Sodapop?"
Ponyboy looked at me with the "thank God, you're here" look.
I raised an eyebrow as they pointed to his room.
"I'll be back," I whispered to Dallas.
He nodded and gave me a little push.
I knocked on the door, "Pop?"
I opened the door and seen him laying down. I walked in quietly and closed the door.
"Babypop, what's wrong?" He layed there, lifeless looking.
Soda rolled over more, I went and laid next to him. "You know you can't roll away from me."
He still looked at me, "Babe, did I do something?"
No response.
I kissed him, he barley kissed back. "Sodapop, what's wrong?" I budged.
"I..I don't know," he whispered faintly. "I've felt off today."
"It's more than just feeling off," I cuddled against him and settled my hand on his chest.
"I know," he snuggled up on my shoulder. I rubbed his back softly.
"You make me feel better, you know that right?"
I nodded and lifted his chin, kissing him lightly, "I don't do the best at it."
"Of course you do," the whisper slid from his lips as he kissed back, practically making out with me.
"Then why won't you tell me what's wrong," I stopped him. "You ain't gettin' anything 'til you spill."
"I don't know, baby, I just ain't feeling up to it today. I know I'm more perky, I just have my down days."
I had to agree with that, he barley had those days when he was miserable. He was just too busy enjoying life to be down. Everyone does have those days where they feel a little off and out of place.
"Alright," I wrapped my arms around his neck and he tucked his arms under and over my waste. "That better be the problem."
"It is, I swear," he grinned happily.
"There's that smile," I kissed his lips, "that I wann-"
Sodapop kept kissing me until he started to tickle.
"Stop!" I yelled with laughter as I tried tickling back. He got ontop of me, kissing and laughing with me. That's when I knew that he was in a better mood.

Soon enough, from the long day and laughter of it, we fell asleep in each other's arms.